making a wooden bowl on a pole lathe

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Robin, that's just great and I love understanding more about how you turn.

Have you any plans on writing a book about these skills? I know I'd love to buy a copy if you do.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Really enjoyed that alot, lovely to see how you make those bowls. i did see a similar setup to your lathe once at my local moss, they had a crafts show on a couple of years ago and a chap had basically the same setup for his lath and was turning things like chair legs etc. cracking stuff, you'll have to get a book or something written for sure (if you have the time!)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Really enjoyed that alot, lovely to see how you make those bowls. i did see a similar setup to your lathe once at my local moss, they had a crafts show on a couple of years ago and a chap had basically the same setup for his lath and was turning things like chair legs etc. cracking stuff, you'll have to get a book or something written for sure (if you have the time!)

There are lots of folk using pole lathes to make chair legs and courses where you can learn in a couple of days, bowls are a bit more of a challenge. I did a book a few years ago detailing the history of the craft from iron age times through Viking period, medieval and bowls from the Mary Rose etc. http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/book.htm

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Nice soundslides show there, it's good to see it being taken seriously by 'the establishment'

Well the gaurdian did call it disapearing acts, not emerging dynamic creative new talent.....:) Mind Robin pops up everywhere you could hardly say he was disapearing:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE