Making a tin-can billy?

L

lewismansell

I'm going wild-camping next week and taking my gas-stove for cooking food and my little coke-can stove for just making up a brew. Any suggestions on making a billy-can for making tea, that I can make out of a food tin can? I've been trying to use a pineapple tin which has worked well when testing it, but I can't find a solution to pick it up off the stove and pull back the lid.

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
put two holes in it opposite sides of the tin and make a handle out of something like fence wire or an old coathanger.......for a lid handle basically the same ......maybe just one hole and a piece of wire could do it bent so that it cant pull out

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Is it safe to boil or cook in cans? Do they have any protective "lining" to be concerned about? What about rust; will they rust, and does that not make them unsafe? Just wondering. Seems to good for tins that we might recycle to have potential lives as billy cans.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
A lot of cans do have plastic linings which when heated will then leach chemicals into whatever you are cooking/heating.

Rust your right is another factor, I would say if it is just once or twice then go ahead but any more than that you would want a proper pot.

L

lewismansell

I've got a coat hangar, but it's got a slight plasticcy film on it, would this be okay or not?

The can doens't seem to have anything on the inside, compared to baked bean cans that I've seen.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
This might be bad advice but if it doesn't seem lined heat it up a few times before you use it for food and water, that'll hopefully burn off any greeblies. For a few uses you should be alright but don't quote me on that if you do it and mutate! I've done it before and I'm fine as far as I know(I could be full of bad stuff and not know it though!). You can burn off or cut the coating on the coat hanger too but it shouldn't matter for a bail arm...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
You are probably better off with a Stainless Steel biscuit tin or other pot & then put bail arms on that. You can pick them up for a pound or two if you look round

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will have a few SS cans that make great hobo stove pots (fit inside drainers) for sale or swap at the Moot! Too cheap to bother posting them as the postage would be about the same price as the can!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've just made a stainless one using an old stainless tea bag tin! I used a bike whell spoke as a little handle. I drilled a couple of small holes in to either side to accept the spoke. Its very satisfying making your own stuff isnt it??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE