Making a stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
I'm tempted to have a play with a baked bean tin as a stove. I have thought about getting one, having holes on the side at the top so fire can get out and to whats on top and a big hole where i could feed the fire. But i dont wont to have a fire in a tin that will just brake and fall appart. I would need to file down where the top came off the lid came off.
So would this work or will it just fail?

Cheers,

Joe

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Joe -

It'll work I"m sure, but count on cutting up a few cans for practise first (and larger (not lager!) cans are better). I find a good old stanley knife ideal, but I know others use tin snips etc. Ogri's link above is the classic resource for homemade stoves. There's also a good hobo stove tutorial you might want to check out.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Thaks all for the links. I will have a go at making a stove when i get a can or i can find one.
Cheers for the help and i'll post pictures when i'm finished.

Joe

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
This is one of my favourite standbys if I am asked to run a scout meeting at short notice :D

I use 1kg/1.5kg metal coffee tins because they have a nicley finished top and you don't have to trim it.

We cut a ring of triangular holes round the top using an old fashioned can opener for the air to escape. These seem to work best if you have them the same width as the whole apart, ie equidistant hole and metal. :)

For simplicity I don't add a door at the bottom but add another ring of triangular holes round half the bottom and make sure that part points into the wind.

For smaller pans we put a couple of wire tent pegs through the holes near the top for them to rest on. Big pans work too, but you have to keep moving them off to drop in more wood.

I have never know one to fall apart due to heat, but several due to abuse. I made one in 2003 from a 1kg coffee tin, its covered in rust but it still works well now, and I regularly used it with a meths burner in the bottom and 1kg kettle, although the burner was raised up on an altoids tin. ;)

Beans tins tend to be harder to use with a trainguar can opener unless you cut the holes before removing the lid and you really have to hammer the cut out triangles down flat before you can use it. :(

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
How i thought of doing the holes were to use a stanley knife or try and hammer a nail through then to pull it out. The stanley knife would be able to give the triangular holes. And to feed the fire i was going to have a hole on the side. I like the idea of a door like the one on a hobo stove. I think there will be alot of experimenting going on :)
Cheers all for the advice.

Joe

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
i made one like this and find its the best stove you can get, or make there so adaptibale you can use ur trangia in them or solid fuel or any thing that burns, and it fits inside a small billy, with space to put your brew stuff in.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi gaz_miggy,
I like the stove. I will have a go at one when i get another tin. I managed to find out last night and i have found that using my knife on my multi tool wasnt a good idea as it made it look sort of messy. But i only had a small tin. I will try it with a Stanley Knife next when i can find it. But i will have a go at one like yours. To make the stoking bit, did you use some copper pipe then put the plastic pipe in or did it have the metal tip already on? I think you could use copper pipe if you had insulation surrounding the plastic and the pipe.

Thanks,

Joe

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Hi i have thought of making one out of the smaller of the two mess tins in a set . cutting a strip from the longer sides and drilling some holes in the bottom of the sides as well try drilling two holes about 1/2 from the top of shorter side towards the edges you should be able to suspend the smaller tin over the bigger one with a couple of metal tent pegs I managed to get a cast alli trough at a car boot fair ( Originaly came from pier ) which i adapted in a similar way and it works well being ali whilst they wont take a high heat they can at least be cleaned and dont rust ilan

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
When you feel more confident, use stainless plate in thin sections, or like I did, when I posted this in British Blades.......

How is this pot suspended a few inches off the ground?
TPS1.jpg

Two simple shapes, made from 2mm thick Titanium...
TPS2.jpg

They can be use differently to lower the pot to get closer to the flame.
Angled to let air through, and to feed the fire.
TPS3.jpg

And angled differently again to slow the air down, say a strong wind...
TPS5.jpg

I came up with the idea a while back, and stainless steel plate warps enough to tip the pot or cup to the point of perhaps tilting off...You do not always have big enough branches to hang pots etc off of, and I thought of something small to carry with you at all times in the bush.

This Titanium also warps a tad, but not enough to cause imbalance.
Fuel can be anything that burns, fuel tabs, wood twigs or branches, alcohol etc in a cup, like the Ti burner that is offered in BB Dealer's Sales.
That pot you see in the pics is cast iron, and with a litre of water in it , weighs 3 kilogrammes!!!

AND the Titanium goes pretty colours, like a rainbow...:)

Use your initiative, and make your own, and see if you can come up with more uses...:)

Some more pics, from about 20 minutes ago...a fire on a stainless plate, using pine about the same quantity as the pile next to the firebucket, as well as the axe that Danzo sent me, for scale... with an edge that shaves my chinny chin chin...
Rolling boil took 4 minutes, and the rainbow afterwards...
Fire1.jpg

Fire2.jpg

Theynest inside each other, as they are the same size...a rectangle about 90mm x 60mm at a guess?
They fit inside my firebucket, along with some wood, fuel tabs etc, so I can have a brew anywhere I want...

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Been cooking on a 800g tomato soup tin at the Bushmoot when we ran out of meths for the coke can stove. It took longer to eat the soup than make the stove. :)

Made the triangular holes with a 'Church Key' can opener and 'hacked' the larger hole out with my opinel.

Burnt small twigs and pine cones for fuel which leave very little ash and so it didn't need to be emptied.

Hope to use a combination of these two stoves for the John Muir Trail next year. The trangias will be staying at home for most future trips.

"Light is Right" :)

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
I still havent managed to get a bigger beans tin. But i am hoping to be testing the smaller on soon. I have bought a solid fuel stove though. Its works well when i tried that out, i should have done the beans tin stove then aswell :banghead: But next tme i use the stove i will use the beans tin one and take some pictures of it. Heres the solid fuel stove I got it for £2.99 from the new(I think) shop called The Range i think. I have used wood to burn it on, very pleased with it and it folds up so you can put things inside it. I dont know how long it took to boil my kettle on the stove, but it was about 5mins or less.Anyway thanks for the information and i will have a go at these when i can get the materials.

Cheers

Joe

jake trg

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2005
Lancashire
Hiya joe just spent a hour trying to get some pics of my stove on this post (i hate computers)have managed to upload to jake lymer gallery i think. The stove is a 14cm zebra billy can with a 12cm inside all the holes are 16mm dia the little bowl u get inside is bolted to the base of the main can and drilled through them both together. it works a treat have been using it weekly for some time now.If some body reads this can u let me know if u manage to find my pics would be most greatful (i'm a computer wally)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE