Making a Stone Age Sling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Making a Stone Age Sling
by storm

I have made a few of slings over the years and had become moderately proficient with this device while living in the dense temperate rainforests of Washington. About 60% of the time I could land a stone within a basketball-sized target area within 30 feet. On more than a few occasions, I tried my hand at procuring Douglas squirrels, but, there being no basketball-sized individuals of that species in the area, I never got to sample the flesh of that critter.
I recently discovered the www.slinging.org website, which contains articles, videos, and even a discussion forum devoted to the art of delivering a projectile to a target via a corded pouch. That site has inspired me to illustrate how easily one can craft a sling in a Stone Age manner.

Here are the tools I use to construct a sling: buckskin, a broken javelina tooth that I found in southern Arizona, unidentified thin bones I collected from a deer carcass, and a wooden mallet.
photo1--materialsneeded.jpg

That javelina tooth cuts through buckskin, even the thicker skin around the deer’s neck, very quickly. It definitely rivals the proficiency of an obsidian flake (although the tooth required some sharpening on a piece of sandstone after this project was finished). Here I am cutting out the sling’s pouch.
photo2--cuttingthebuckskin.jpg

The shape of the pouch can vary amongst users. You can visit the slinging website mentioned above to view different styles. Here is a pouch I had cut and pierced earlier in the day.
photo4--thepouch.jpg

Piercing the buckskin, in order to attach the cords, can be challenging. A sharp, strong implement is required. I use a small bone and a wooden mallet. If you know the name or placement of this deer bone, please let me know (storm@stoneageskills.com). I collected three of them from a mostly-intact, totally clean deer carcass.
photo3--piercingthebuckskin.jpg

There are many ways to attach the pouch to the cords. I chose a three-point method in order to draw the edges of the pouch together and secure the projectile within the buckskin. The next sling I make will sport a simpler one-point attachment so that I can test the potential differences.

It is said that the cords should be as long as the distance between your hand and heart when your slinging hand is extended to your side. Being a beginner, I have made the cords slightly shorter. This ought to give me more control and accuracy over shorter distances.
photo5--attachingthecords.jpg

After having attached one cord to each end of the pouch, I knotted one end and made a loop on the other.
photo6--loopandknot.jpg

Holding the knot and loop as one would when operating the sling.
photo7--holdingtheloopandknot.jpg

Aim (which is what I'm doing in the photo), sling, and devour your kill!
photo8--slingingmr.jpg

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
A great tutorial, well done.

As a kid my mates and I used to go poaching with an old boy from Allerford, Exmoor, he took all his game with either, a sling, a flighted stone or just a staff. His accuracy was amazing, I once saw him feel a red deer with a well placed stone from the sling whilst up on Ley Hill.

We strived to emulate him but now a skill I have probably lost although I will be making one now, thanks for bringing great memory’s.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
From that photo , You appear to be useing the sling as i would expect a catapult to be used . Am i right in this assumption ? I was under the impression that a sling was swung round and round to get the momentum before releasing in the required direction .
Cheers
Pumbaa

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
I made a sling from a bit of old leather and a couple of shoelaces, not as good looking as yours Storm, but does the job ;)

Its amazing just how much further the sling throws compared to lobbing it by hand. I dont twirl, just snap the sling forward and release from a standing start, can get a golfball to clear a football (soccer) field with ease. now all I have to do is get it on target :lmao:

I can hit the breakwater on the river, but then it is 15 foot high and 25 foot long :D

hey, its better than when I first tried *giggles*

Greywolf

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for the tutorial,it does not look beyond even my meager skills,going to have a crack at this one for sure.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Nice tutorial, thanks. I've always fancied having a go at this myself. Yet another 'winter project'!

Thanks for the tutorial, it does not look beyond even my meager skills, going to have a crack at this one for sure.

i'm no great expert on anything, but [I}that's[/I] the point. i think one reason i love to share what i do is to show people that developing a closer relationship with the landscape, with natural materials and their inherent rhythms (cycles, energy, etc.), is not very difficult. it all starts with the desire to provide for oneself (and the ones we care for), whether that satisfies a physical need (tools, wild food) or an emotional one (earth spirituality, connecting with the land) . the two facets of primitive technology that are most meaningful to me are: the kinesthetic connection to materials (wood, bone, stone, shell) that i develop when i work them with simple tools that i either make or find; and i love to roam the landscape and figure out uses for things i encounter...

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Nice piece of work storm. I’ve had this project in mind for some time, but mine is going to be braided out of plant fibres.

Thanks for sharing

James

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Just musing (have made a simple sling for the first time this year from string and plastic sheet and 2-3 years ago made up a simple, Scout friendly bolas) Would a bolas be better at catching the squirrel? You kind of need a network of cords with weights, so that if any part of the cord catches round the squirrel then it gets entwined. Maybe a small bolas fired with a sling?

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Hi,

Thanks Storm, for bringing Slinging.org to my attention. It's a great site, and it persuaded me to have a go at making a braided Jute sling today.

sling.jpg

I can while away the winter evenings slinging stones into the sea now.

Pappa

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Good one Storm.........We used to make French arrows as kids, But I was not much good at it, was amazed at how far the arrow went though. By the way, did you manage to kill that rabbit...............Jon

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Nice one Storm! I'll have to show you my sling when I have the camera sorted out.

I used an technique that I was taught in junior school as I found a flat pouch didn't cup the projectile well enough.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I've been practicing in the house with a tightly screwed up ball of paper. My first shot was aimed at the window :eek: , and I was surprised at the force behind it. I was also surprised at the inherrent accuracy of the thing; even with no skill or experience, I was able to hit within 1m of my target from about an 8m range. I'm looking forward to taking it down the beach and putting it through it's paces (and me to, I imagine).

Pappa

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Pappa said:
I've been practicing in the house with a tightly screwed up ball of paper. My first shot was aimed at the window :eek: , and I was surprised at the force behind it. I was also surprised at the inherrent accuracy of the thing; even with no skill or experience, I was able to hit within 1m of my target from about an 8m range. I'm looking forward to taking it down the beach and putting it through it's paces (and me to, I imagine).

Pappa

My first tries with a sling were in an empty field - good thing too. Likely to go anything up to 120 degrees out! I modified my technique to swing it in a vertical circle rather than round my head and got it to at least always go forwards with varying upwards angles.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Sorry, I should have mentioned. The reason it was so accurate was that I was using the 'over-arm' technique (as Rich mentioned), which Slinging.org recommends as the best and most accurate technique for beginners. It wasn't because I'm an inherently skilled slinger. :lmao:

Pappa

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was inspired to make a sling after reading this thread. I made one last night from a ball of jute twine. I tried it this morning and successfully smacked myself on the back of the head with a big stone! Duh!

Eric

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Me too Eric, Had the day off work today so with time on my hands... I used 80% cotton string because that's what I had around, following a pattern on slinging.org. I found the string I used a little too thick, which meant the braid stretched a little and opened up a bit - which wouldn't do much for the longevity. I spied a roll of nylon builders string in the hardware shop on the weekend I might pick one up and make another. How long did you make yours?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE