making a rod for my own back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 4, 2006
staffordshire
I've being toying with the idea of making my own fishing rod.I need some thing that can be compact enough to carry when out on my travels.I would like to use natural resources (bamboo,wood) where possible.Has anyone got any ideas,sites or books they can suggest.I know this is a vague but you guys haven't let me down yet.
cheers daman1

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
daman1 said:
I've being toying with the idea of making my own fishing rod.I need some thing that can be compact enough to carry when out on my travels.I would like to use natural resources (bamboo,wood) where possible.Has anyone got any ideas,sites or books they can suggest.I know this is a vague but you guys haven't let me down yet.
cheers daman1

There is a lot of work, a lot of tools and quite alot of time needed to make your own split can rods. I've re-eyed and re-corked one. but that is simple compared with the skill and time needed to make the split cane rod itself. this site shows you a basic overview.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Wow! those rods are lovely but insanely complex looking to fabricate!

I would try to make something in the field by simply attaching reel (fixed) to the end of some seasoned hazel or something... then again, i'm a bodge artist at the best of times.

If I wanted some kind of reel I would cut a small hole through each end for the reel to go through to keep it in line with rod and wrap the reel around a stick (or my hand).

If you want to get fancy, attleborough accessories sell stick making supplies including bits to screw sections together similar to a snooker cue... saying that, just get a 3 section snooker cue from a charity shop! :D

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
To be honest is it worth it ?you can get cheap telescopic rods on the internet for a few quid whilst to buy any parts to make a rod would cost more than a finished one . Having said that most of my early fishing was with a simple pole and no reel and possibly had more fun catching little ones than with any expensive gear .

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
ilan said:
To be honest is it worth it ?
If you have/want a project that will take you all winter, make a rod that is 100% how You want it and are willing to spend time learning, making mistakes, but ultimately end up with a group of skills so sort after that you could with some time effort and application make money out of it. Or even so you have a perfect rod to fish with.
It’s up you what you are willing to do to make your life how you want it. I’d not make a knife for myself, as that side of it just isn’t what attracts me to the scene. I’d not spend hundreds on “bushie bling”. I’d rather take my little girl camping and show her what you can do with 20ft of nylon mono, a hook and a worm. that’s my bag, well to me anyway. That’s where I get my enjoyment, teaching my kid all the stuff I took for granted as a kid, but now is so special.

Why make your own knives. Why learn how to make your own camping gear. Why mod a car, boat, a house. Why do anything? Only the individual can answer that

You can go to the shop and get a “good enough” product. So why camp at all, why not stay in a motel and drive to the lake and catch fish stocked there a week ago. Why not play fishing on the PC in the comfort of your home.

it's all about what you want to get out of life. I'm happy to buy, and use. Others like to make stuff. it's all good.
Whatever you do :You_Rock_

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
ilan said:
To be honest is it worth it ?
In my opinion bushcraft, survival skills, wilderness living (whatever you choose to call it) is all about getting away from the acquisition of kit or
buying into the newest "must have" outdoor gadget.

The ability to find food, shelter, water and create fire in the wilds is just the beginning. Enhancement of existence comes when you begin to utilise
the natural surroundings and create the simple things we all take for granted. The creative processes that come into play once you begin to work
with your hands will give you a far clearer understanding of the craft which no book or TV or ebay can compete with.

Anyway a simple rod can be manufactured from a suitable sapling and a bit of old fashioned elbow grease ... if you can be bothered.

Using the tines from an antler and some flint you can score,split, abrade and finally drill a set of rod eyes and lash them to your selected sapling
You now have a fishing rod which will cast further than any hobo line and will give you more control in playing a fish. The eyes can be stripped off
and put in your pocket when on the move and you just create it again when you need to, with a fresh sapling.

eye2.jpg

eye4.jpg

eye3.jpg

:)

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
PatrickM said:
In my opinion bushcraft, survival skills, wilderness living (whatever you choose to call it) is all about getting away from the acquisition of kit or
buying into the newest "must have" outdoor gadget.

The ability to find food, shelter, water and create fire in the wilds is just the beginning. Enhancement of existence comes when you begin to utilise
the natural surroundings and create the simple things we all take for granted. The creative processes that come into play once you begin to work
with your hands will give you a far clearer understanding of the craft which no book or TV or ebay can compete with.

Anyway a simple rod can be manufactured from a suitable sapling and a bit of old fashioned elbow grease ... if you can be bothered.

Using the tines from an antler and some flint you can score,split, abrade and finally drill a set of rod eyes and lash them to your selected sapling
You now have a fishing rod which will cast further than any hobo line and will give you more control in playing a fish. The eyes can be stripped off
and put in your pocket when on the move and you just create it again when you need to, with a fresh sapling.

:)

Great Idea :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE