making a millbank bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've read on the forums about the use of a millbank bag. From the description it is a tight weave heavy canvas cloth, swells when soaked to allow filtering of pretty small particles prior to chemical sterilizing.
Is it possible to make your own out of heavy canvas ? 14oz, 16oz? double stitched seam?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I should think you could make you're own but with the weave as fine as it is then sewing is going to be pretty hard work...all seems a bit pointless when you an get them on ebay for about a fiver!

Cheers,

Bam. :D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
thanks for the replies and ideas.
I did think the price was low, it's just the idea of making your own where you can. I've seen articles on using socks and bits of charcoal in a lemonade bottle.
I didnt know the material was treated in some way though.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
JohnC said:
thanks for the replies and ideas.
I did think the price was low, it's just the idea of making your own where you can. I've seen articles on using socks and bits of charcoal in a lemonade bottle.
I didnt know the material was treated in some way though.

It would be a brave man indeed who drank water that had been filtered through one of my socks :lmao:

simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My jelly bag must be something along these lines. It's used to strain all the fibrous material out of boiled fruit to clear the juice to make jelly. That's jelly jam, not table jelly.
The cloth is simply very tightly woven wool that over time and use becomes almost felted. It seems to last forever, mine's over thirty years old and it gets used every year. The cleared juices slowly seep through and drip off the bottom. They end up crystal clear.

Newer ones are made of nylon and they're dirt cheap.
http://thecookskitchen.com/browse_2549

Mine looks more like this cotton one,
http://thecookskitchen.com/browse_2547

I used well washed fleece fabric to strain elderflower juice last year when working with kids, and it was really successful, no clogging even with all the fine pollen and tiny petals.

Any idea what the Millbank bag is treated with? 'cos otherwise it's a dear bit of cloth.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE