Making a leather tankard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nice one - I think you skipped a bit too quickly over the hardest part: "attaching the base" - Would be good to get some pics of that in the instructable.

Cheers

Mike

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Nice:) but I find that preheating the tankard first before dipping helps the wax soak into the leather rather than just setting on the cold leather;) I've made a few tankards over the years and I think it makes for a nicer finish.

Rich

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Nice:) but I find that preheating the tankard first before dipping helps the wax soak into the leather rather than just setting on the cold leather;) I've made a few tankards over the years and I think it makes for a nicer finish.

Rich

You've got lines all over yours though! :)

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
You've got lines all over yours though! :)

Yer just couldn't resist using this heavily grained shoulder of something so tactile;)

Another useful tool to have to hand is a hot air gun/electric paint stripper to help removed excess wax and reflow the wax inside if it doesn't seal first time.

You get a great satisfaction from drinking ale from something you made yourself:)

Rich

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Are yours butt stitched Rich? Handle looks straight through

Yes the handles are stitched though.

Also I don't butt stitch the seam, I over lap mine and stitch two rows about 1/2" apart for added strength. I skive the edges of the overlap to a taper so the joint is only as thick as the rest of the leather.

I've found that butted seams have a tendency to crack. I suppose everyone makes them slight differently;)

Rich

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Indeed each to their own. Have added sections on sewing the base and stitching the handle! If you're able don't forget to vote, then I'll try skiving to when I win the gear!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE