Making a folder a fixed blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Robson Valley,
I don't know what's getting to you about this thread but there is no need be so confrontational about it, and there is no need to coarsen your language. If you disapprove of peoples' "theory", counter it by posting your practical hands experience as it pertains to this project.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think welding a tang on is a one-way street. If I were the OP, I'd be looking at getting a bit of brass or stainless bar, and making a three-part sandwich, essentially replicating a 'folding' knife structure but filling in the hollow part of a folding knife handle with a metal bar. Then wooden scales on each side. A corby bolt or rivet through the pivot point to hold it together.

That would be nice and solid, and if I decided I liked it as a folder, there would be the option of trying to rebuild the assembly to a more solid but folding knife.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Weld the bugger up I say :) I've welded knives where the tang has taken damage. Just make sure to grind or file the weld back flush and you'll be fine. I've even seen a knife with a welding rod intentionally stuck to it as a rat tail tang. And its still going strong to my knowledge. You'll have to go some to snap a decent weld and the HAZ realistically will not effect the cutting edge of the knife. Admittedly you'll get a brittle point in the knife but we aren't talking normal use levels to break it its got to be outright abuse. Most importantly make sure to get some pictures up!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
No welds are ugly when you know how to tig and heat treat/temper can be done again if needs be. I'd say go for it if it's in competent hands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE