making a broadhead from a teaspoon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think that the law is that a broadhead is not illegal to own in the UK, but is illegal to use.

Broadheads just fall under section 139 of the criminal justice act, bladed and pointed articles. Keep within these rules and they are perfectly legal.

Oh and an excellent improvisation! How sharp can they be made without messing around with heat treatments?

Steve.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Broadheads just fall under section 139 of the criminal justice act, bladed and pointed articles. Keep within these rules and they are perfectly legal.
Sorry Steve, got to disagree. Sect 139 allows the carry of a folding knife of less than 3" unless you have good cause. The broadheads don't fold so you'd need good cause, which may be a bit difficult to justify.

fishfish - brilliant idea. Almost makes me want to get back in to shooting.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Exactly Nigel, you will need a reasonable excuse to have a broadhead on your person like any other section 139 non-exempt blade. It's just that many believe wrongly that a broadhead as an object is illegal in the UK just because they are used for hunting in other countries but outlawed here in the UK. They are not on any offensive weapons list like say samurai swords or butterfly knives but still fall under section 139.

Steve

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The fact that it is on the end of an arrow or will be on the end of an arrow is "reasonable" excuse if one were needed. Please do not let us start extending the law through worrying about it. Shooting a bow is legal, there is no law on what should be on the end of the arrow. That which is not forbidden is legal in the UK. Just a thought, a detached blade from a legal folding knife must be legal as well as if it were fastened into a pocket knife.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have made bushman style arrowheads from fencing wire - hammer the wire flat and abrade to shape :)
Small but very effective... at least on targets!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm sorry but just having something sharp and pointy stuck on 'the end of an arrow' is not a reasonable excuse, how and where you use an item determines it's legality! I did not want to turn this into another blade law thread but inaccuracy's need to be addressed.

Boatman, are you in your last sentence asking if taking a blade off a legal folding knife and fixing it to a arrow shaft would be legal? It would entirely depend on where and how you used such a thing but yes it could be entirely legal or conversely land you in a heap of trouble.

Steve.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
No not fixing loose blade to arrow just pointing out that bits of something legal are legal thus loose broadheads are legal. You do not have to show a reason for arrows, they are for shooting from bows and if the law wanted to restrict bows and arrows more than to prohibit hunting it would have done so, as it has done with crossbows. A field point is pointed thus could fall within the act but does not for the previous reasons.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No not fixing loose blade to arrow just pointing out that bits of something legal are legal thus loose broadheads are legal. You do not have to show a reason for arrows, they are for shooting from bows and if the law wanted to restrict bows and arrows more than to prohibit hunting it would have done so, as it has done with crossbows. A field point is pointed thus could fall within the act but does not for the previous reasons.

Just reminded me of shooting in a yew bow for a check. I pulled the fourth arrow from the quiver and let is loose, went way high and left and almost through the target. On pulling the arrow from the target i noticed it had lost its field point. Still didnt stop it going almost through the target ;)

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Nice idea, but I think the spoonhead would have 1 very fatal flaw against the purpose built boradhead. I can see it, it it was used that it would hit bone and just fold over, where as the Woodsmans and Magnus would put up a much stiffer fight before doing the same.

I was messing around with my Stingers and hit a stone with 1 and the top 3mm turned over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE