Making a brew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
Not so bushcrafty, but the quickest cuppa or noodles I've ever had: The Jetboil packs down in to the pot and boils water quicker than I can prepare the makings. Only drawback is the whole setup is about £50 [includes burner and pot] but I think it's worth every penny. They're about $60 in the states so ebay might be an option.

Not all modern tech is bad! :D

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
i'll second the jetboil, hot brew in 2 mins including getting it out of the top of your bag, nice warm hands without burning them come winter too :)

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
For brews when hill walking and when i am camping alone i use a meths stove made from a large steel mug (1.25L) a tin of fruit (yes really) as a windshield - use 2 alu tent pegsor a bend of thin steel to support the mug.
I carry the meths in my old swedish army flask.

Its great i prefer it to the trangia and it cost nothing to make. best part is i can fit my expresso maker on it perfect for lattes in the bush :)

may work on making a lighter windshield holder however.
you can get the idea
Stove goodness

cheers

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I set this up at home, works fine, but I've never "actualy" used it. Basically, its a home made pepsi can stove used in a hexi cooker. The US metal mug fit the top plate of the hexi with a little filing of the plate.
DSCF0796Small.jpg

Its a free alternative to the crusader setup (sorry Stewart)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'd say it depends how many times a day and how many days you plan to be using your stove for.

If it's a couple of brews in 12 hours I'd consider taking a 1 litre Thermos Ultralite fask http://www.thermos.co.uk/products.php?prod=183586
I take mine on longer ventures too, even with the cup it weighs little more than a similarly sized Sig bottle and outperforms my previous stainless steel flasks in both weight and heat retension, meaning ( if your not carrying ready brewed tea ) you can start out with already hot/warm water, possibly heated while you were drinking the cup at your last stop. Another time/fuel saving tip, which I picked up from an ultralight hiker's website, is to only boil about 3/4 of the amount you want to drink, make yor brew slightly stronger than you want and top up with cooler water, unless you like your brew scalding hot that is.

The Volcanoe stove was my first stove, all in all I found it a quite nice bit of kit. light, cheap and functional. You can also fit a mini drinks can stove in it, using a syringe to fill with meths, works quite well. The main disavatages ( this is possibly based on my own failures so may not affect you ) in use it's got a high center of gravity compared to it's footprint, making it a little easier to knock over than say the Crusader cooker which is why I prefer the Crusader ( with stainless steel cup and flat bottomed mini drinks stove ) most times, along with the little hanger for possible use on open fire. Cleaning the soot and burn residue from out of a Volcanoe stove is a bit more difficult than off of a Crusader. Both also handle my makeshift emergency kit stove, a scraped down tea light with corrugated cardboard wedged between the casing and the wax. If you carry a tea light in your emergency kit anyway I highly recomend adding a small piece of cardboard to the kit for this possible use. You can of course use the tea light casing as an open container to use up any remaning meths, before resorting to the actual card & candle method.
I keep the wires and handles of either in check with a simple elastic band or 2 as they're light and have a multitude of other uses.

Something I tend to do with my own meths burners is add a tiny pinch of salt to them, seems to give a slightly more visible flame.

I'd probably go for making one like Pignut's stoves, mentioned above, if I had Zebra billys and wasn't about to start my second prototype based on Risk's Forge http://www.imrisk.com/forge/forge.htm which fits in my smallest ( 2 pint ) of my Tracpac nesting billy set.
It can take wood, hexi or a mini drinks can stove. Also should be able to use it on snow/peat as the firebox is kept 8cm off of the base which is cooled by the intake of air, hopefully (if I get it right ) it could also be used fanless with the removable open port faced into any prevalent wind.
On the second prototype the firebox is removable so in fan mode should be able to make a second firebox one to burn paraffin similar to this http://koti.welho.com/tnoko/rokkakero/english.html.
If I could find a way of adding a gas burner and it would be my ultimate versitile cookset. Mind you it's not very pretty.

If speed of brew is you main consideration I doubt you could beat combining an ultralight flask and jetboil system, relitavely expensive though.

Cheapest would probably be a side ported drinks can stove, where the stove is also the pot support, and tin foil windshield.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE