Making a Boy Scout Klondike Sled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A very professional sledge there weaver.

Interesting that you used laminates instead of steam bending.

I can see why as oak isn't the greatest of woods to steam bend,i only steambend ash and that fails now and then.

What glue did you use for the laminates?

Should out last you thats for sure;)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I have more experience with laminating and the form for the hand rails would have been huge. Time was also a consideration as I have very little time to do this kind of work.

The glue is Titebond III.

from their web site:
An advanced proprietary technology that offers the best possible performance
in woodworking glues. This waterproof formula passes the ANSI/HPVA Type I
water-resistance specification and offers superior bond strength, longer open
assembly time and lower application temperature. Titebond III Ultimate Wood
Glue is non-toxic, solvent free and cleans up with water – safer to use than
traditional waterproof wood glues. It provides strong initial tack, sands easily
without softening and is FDA approved for indirect food contact (cutting
boards). Titebond III is the ultimate in wood glues – ideal for both interior and
exterior applications.

I have more experience with laminating and the form for the hand rails would have been huge. Time was also a consideration as I have very little time to do this kind of work.

The glue is Titebond III.

from their web site:
An advanced proprietary technology that offers the best possible performance
in woodworking glues. This waterproof formula passes the ANSI/HPVA Type I
water-resistance specification and offers superior bond strength, longer open
assembly time and lower application temperature. Titebond III Ultimate Wood
Glue is non-toxic, solvent free and cleans up with water – safer to use than
traditional waterproof wood glues. It provides strong initial tack, sands easily
without softening and is FDA approved for indirect food contact (cutting
boards). Titebond III is the ultimate in wood glues – ideal for both interior and
exterior applications.

Used it myself here in Britain,i use Balcotan normally.

Looks like you have a nice workshop aswell,get to do much turning on that lathe of yours?

Is that two table saws or is the green machine a spindle moulder (shaper to you yanks)

You might find yourself soon in the sledge manufacturing industry:D

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Used it myself here in Britain,i use Balcotan normally.

Looks like you have a nice workshop aswell,get to do much turning on that lathe of yours?

Is that two table saws or is the green machine a spindle moulder (shaper to you yanks)

You might find yourself soon in the sledge manufacturing industry:D

Thanks on the shop comment, I built the building myself and keep shoving stuff in there till I need more space. :lmao:

I don't have time to turn as much as i would like. British Red has a bit o my turning to stir his coffee. Maybe you've seen a pic.

The green box is a router table, I thought it would be safer than holding wood in my lap and routing it but turns out the table is more dangerous! :aargh4:

Like most things I make, this is sure to be a one off.

The green box is a router table, I thought it would be safer than holding wood in my lap and routing it but turns out the table is more dangerous! :aargh4:

What Horsepower is your router?

I ask because routers are usually underpowered for such tasks thats why man invented the spindle moulder.

Anything under 1 1/2 HP is too under powered and has the habit of returning to sender the work piece or burning out your bit.

Feathersticks can help,i use my router in the traditional manner (but i hardly use it at the minute.)

Your lathe dosen't look underpowered:)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
It is an old Skill brand router I bought when I was about 20 Years old. I think it may be 1 HP. The table is a recent acquisition for making Native American cedar flutes. It works well for that, but I am not used to it yet. I cut the tip off my finger last week. Luckily the surgeon was able to sew most of it back together.

I will be much more respectful of it in the future.

I don't have room for a full size spindle shaper. Maybe someday I can move to a larger place (shop space). My land is plentiful but I don't want to build more structures here If I may leave when I retire.

The lathe is underpowered at the moment. I have a 1/4 HP motor temporarily clamped to the frame. The 2 HP that came with it is 220V and I didn't want to run new cable for the same reason as previous.

It is an old Skill brand router I bought when I was about 20 Years old. I think it may be 1 HP. The table is a recent acquisition for making Native American cedar flutes. It works well for that, but I am not used to it yet. I cut the tip off my finger last week. Luckily the surgeon was able to sew most of it back together.

I will be much more respectful of it in the future.

I don't have room for a full size spindle shaper. Maybe someday I can move to a larger place (shop space). My land is plentiful but I don't want to build more structures here If I may leave when I retire.

The lathe is underpowered at the moment. I have a 1/4 HP motor temporarily clamped to the frame. The 2 HP that came with it is 220V and I didn't want to run new cable for the same reason as previous.

Yeah cedars not a bad timber to work with (smells nice:D ) made many shingles and weatherboards (clapboard to you colonials;) :rolleyes: ) from cedar.
Never routed it though.

1/4 HP is underpowered for such a beast ,can you not get a transformer for the 2 HP?

In Britain our domestic supply is 240 volts but on building sites you can only use 110 volts so i have both sorts of powertools.

I now have acess to a friends boat building shop (steel boats) so i now have a tablesaw,drill press and an old 3 phase planer thicknesser (jointer and planer) that could surface a redwood:D

Me and my mate are thinking about knocking up a few items for sale on evilbay,might even build another twelve foot skiff.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
one boy steers from behind and 4 to 6 pull with the ropes.

Is he allowed to crack a whip and yell "mush"? :D I confess I would be so tempted :lmao:

Lovely work as always weaver - i'm looking forward to seeing some action shots - I do hope you ahve time this year:rolleyes:

The wood turning is still in regular use (indeed BB loves it for mixing up her cadbury's options when out and about ;)). I tell her its sacrilege to use my precious "mans spoon" on such things - coffee spooning only - but hey, what are you gonna do ?

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Stu,

I ave 220 in the shop, just don't want to spend $60 for wire to go across the shop and down the wall right now, if it looks like we will be here another year I will do it then.

I envy the big tools and the boat building skills, that's something I have always wanted to learn. But being a land lubber and a mountain man at that I never had the opportunity.

Good luck with the sales adventure!

Hi Red old friend,

I think a whip would be discouraged, yelling mush may get by if not too loud. :lmao:

I will take pics or send the camera along.

Glad you are getting good service from the spoon, maybe a more dainty one for next Christmas or come to think of it I will owe her a wedding gift.

Take care

P0002087.jpg

BoxinSpoon.jpg

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I spent the day helping the Boy Scouts with the annual Klondike Derby. The boys campout for the weekend, have to pull a sled around to different events and have various contests to test their knowledge, strength, team work and other outdoor skills.

It's great fun and our troop has won the last 5 years. So, I built them a new sled last year as a reward for the hard work they have done and because their old one was falling apart.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Looks like great days was had by all. That sled must have taken a good kicking throughout the day what with being dragged over the rough dry ground. It looks like a really nice and well made piece of kit that should last for years.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE