Making a Boy Scout Klondike Sled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Our scout troop has won the klondike contest for the last two years and hope to do it again this year. The boys have to pull the sled with one boy riding in it and one boy pushing/guiding it. Sometimes it is in the rain and mud other times it is dust and rocks. Uphill, downhill, through the woods and fields or sometimes across a creek.

They go from station to station doing little tasks at each station. Could be anything like starting a fire to boil water or burn a rope in two, build a small tower, simulate a rescue/first aid episode, shoot rifles or shotguns, identify wild plants/trees or animals.

They have to have the needed equipment with them or fabricate it from the wild. So, part of the competition is to anticipate what will be needed and take enough gear without loading down the sled so much that they can't pull it through the course.

Their old sled is falling apart so I said I would help with a new one.

Collin (my son) found plans on a Scout web site and his troop leader donated the wood, white oak.
Sled1.jpg

I have a lot of the parts cut and the runners are being bent now. I had to take apart my work table to make room for the lathe I bought last month, but it makes a pretty sturdy work table on its own.
Sled2.jpg

I didn't think 1" by 3" white oak would bend very well and I have had good results laminating thin bent pieces so I thought I would cut slots in the runners.
Sled3.jpg

It bent very easily then.
Sled4.jpg

So, I made a form out of some old soft maple and glued the pieces together. I put some cloth in between the strips to add strength. I hope it works.
Sled5.jpg

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats fantastic weaver - thanks mate.

Really good to see the design at the top too - kind of puts it into perspective whats coming - if its not too much hassle, I for one would love to see the project develop if you can find the time to show us?

I do envy people with talent and skill :(

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Wow, that will need to be a tough sled, being dragged over all that rough terrain. I thought it was for snow use....Looks like you are doing a great job there...Good luck to your scout group....

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Wow! I think this looks like a promising thread! Really interesting to see the sled develop, I too hope you'll find the time to let us know how its going. Thanks weaver. :You_Rock_

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
The contest starts Friday night and ends Sunday morning. Most of the events take place on Saturday but, the camp site and how the boys cook their meals are also evaluated, points can be deducted for lots of different things from how the camp is set up to how the boys dispose of their trash. Points are given for questions about Scout history and famous Scouts.

No, it is never more than a mile in any direction.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
That sounds like it is actually quite challenging. I don't know much about scouting, how old are the children then? I don't konw over here if they do this sort of challenge, but I suppose the PC brigade would try to spoil it :(

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Boy Scouts are age 11 to 18, most don't participate after age 16. More interested in automobiles and girls.

The PC police are very strong here as well, but we live so far out in the country they rarely visit. :rolleyes: Must have sidewalks to be PC, you understand.

Actually they have had their effect in many ways. I hate to see the Scouts diluted to the point of only reading about the great outdoors but, I fear it will be going that way.

BTW, I looked at your web site. Very nice work! :You_Rock_

I was in the sign business for almost twenty years. Alas the computer vinyl monsters killed my business. Very few here value quality such as yours. I painted, silk screened, gold leafed and carved many signs for far too low a price. :(

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you Weaver. I wish I could say I am making a living out of this. It takes a long time to establish a business and I would be living under a bridge with the income at the moment! But I am trying! And when I think of the activities of the pc brigade it makes me turn to :cussing: and jump on my :soapbox: !

Perhaps we should start a new thread : On the Ramblings of a Grumpy Old Man!! Might be entertaining :D Actually a while back, my children gave me a badge : Grumpy Old Man. I don't know what they are talking about :D

Coming back to the topic, is the sled completely rigid or is the flat surface suspended? hard to tell from the drawing.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
The flat surface will be bolted to cross runners which are morticed into the uprights. I'll have about 5 inches of ground clearance. The flats are bolted underneath the cross members for a smooth surface to glide over obstacles. All hardware is stainless steel except the brake. Many of the dimensions are not indicated so there is a lot of guesswork and redesigning as I go along.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Always things to get in the way of fun, but eventually we go back to the good stuff. This will see hard use next week and I hope to get some piccys for you chaps.

SledFinal.jpg

SledFaceon.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Weaver that's beautiful :D and thank you for taking the time to post the details and photos.
It sounds like your Scout group is really participating properly in the training and experience of the young. Did your son help with the sledge building?

As an aside, sledges were in common usage up until the advent of metalled roads. In the UK though we made an awful lot more use of our waterways for transport than we do now.

cheers,
Toddy

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
That is a bute!!!!!

I presume one member at the back to push, one at the front to pull and crew members/kit on the sled

Regards

Pignut

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for all the compliments!

Toddy,

Yes our troop is one of the smallest yet one of the best in the area, every member since 1975 has made it to Eagle and many are in Law Enforcement, medical emergency work or the Military.

Yes, my son helped some, especially after I hurt my finger on the route table. He finished the assembly and sanding. I am doing the varnish.

Pignut,

One boy has to be in the sled at all times and there is a certain amount of required gear, one boy steers from behind and 4 to 6 pull with the ropes.

They will have about a dozen challenges along the trail, including first aid, shooting, sawing a log, fire starting, estimating distances, tying knots, problem solving, Boy Scout and American history, mapping, plant identification and others.

I do hope to get action shots. Last year I had to man the target range and did not have a break all day. We have only two certified arms instructors and two are required at all times so we plan to lock up the rifles and take a break for lunch this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE