Making a blunt tip?

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello,

I'm currently looking at buying a new folding knife to be used as a rescue knife. I had originally planned on the Gerber EZ out rescue but decided against it due to the price and amount it would get used.

Instead im looking at the Boker Magnum Beacon- due to its colour, partial serration and price. Would it be possible to file the tip to make it blunt? if so what kit would I need to do it? I have some hand files and a bench grinder but thats it.

NB it needs to be blunt tipped for work to prevent any accidental puncuturing.

Troutman.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its gonna be tough using a file on hardened steel. Easy for a power tool. Not a bench grinder though unless you take it really slowly and dunk in water often. They get hot quick and will ruin the temper on the blade. Send it to me and i'll sort it for the cost of the return postage, its only a 2 minute job with my tools. :)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks mark, that is a good offer! I was planning it as a DIY project, any tips on where I should start? I have access to other power tools what would you guys suggest?

If (when) I mess it up I will have to buy another and take you up on that offer LOL ;)
Troutman

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
A flap disc in an angle grinder would do it. Or any sandpaper abraisive type power tool or attachment. All these would be better than the bench grinder. :)

Take it slow, keep it cool, you'll be ok. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What about one of those 1 mm cut off disks Mark? Like a motorised hacksaw in a 4" grinder - shouldn't heat up too much either - minimal contact

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've just done something similar today. I got a sak sentinal a few weeks ago, & have just got round to making it a non-locking edc with the same blade length as a sak farmer. Fortunetly i have a grind stone, but it litteraly took me all of 5 minutes. Not the prettiest of mods, but it now has a wharnecliffe/sheeps foot/horses shoe/pigs bladder shape blade, & may now see use as my canoe knife.

Rob

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They still make things hot, Just not as hot as they cut quicker. The 1mm slitters are designed for stainless steel, but i use them for everything. Cutting hardened steel will slow them down a bit, increasing the heat it will generate. I wouldn't risk it unless your happy with the possiblilty of losing the temper on a few mm of cutting edge. :)

What about one of those 1 mm cut off disks Mark? Like a motorised hacksaw in a 4" grinder - shouldn't heat up too much either - minimal contact

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks chaps, some very good info here! I'm basically wanting to round off the point (Like the gerber rescue) so that it doesnt accidentally stab anyone or myself when using it in difficult situations. I think an angle grinder may be the way forward.

Would heating it do any good? Or would it ruin the temper straight away?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you take it above 200c your probably going to be hurting the temper. Heating it wont help at all once its tempered tbh. They need keeping cool.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks Mark, I will be taking it slow and steady from now on :) I'm thinking about clamping it in the vice and going at the point with the angle grinder slowly wearing it down. Now would be the time for a dremmel- if i had one haha :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Dont forget to dunk the blade in water to keep it cool. If you cant touch it with your finger without it burning you, its too hot. If you can touch it, it wont ruin the temper :)

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Spyderco do a nice sheeps foot knife in their 'salt' range.

I use one from that range for cave diving, but at the time I didnt know the sheeps foot existed so got the pointy version. Its excellent, survived salt water for 8 years or so with not a spot of rust. Good edge, but then I dont use it for anything other than chopping line (well, and occassionally spreading roquefort onto baguette :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE