Making a berry picker - The 'berry scoop' - How-To article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Yo! another article ive written... A bit out of season but nevertheless I wanted to share this anyway...

I have updated an old article on my website showing how to make another design of berry picker; the 'Berry Scoop'/ 'berry comb'. They are excellent for picking berries such as Bilberries and Cowberries, you've probably seen Ray Mears using one on his Wild Food series. The picker has a row of prongs like a comb, the picker is used by pushing the comb through the foliage of the berry bushes, the fruit which is too large to pass between the prongs gets plucked free. Many berries can be picked at once and the picker is frequently emptied into your foraging basket. With a good berry picker you can potentially pick huge quantities in just 1 day!

To make it I recycled some items I had lying about; a mini wine crate and some tines from a broken garden rake. You could of course use other materials, some plywood off-cuts would be perfect for the box, and for the prongs you'll need to be a bit inventive, there are some suggestions of other materials in the article...

You can see the full step by step article on how I made this on my website here:
http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/making a berry picker.htm

berry-picker-01.jpg

IMG_8514_small1.jpg

Materials used - small wine crate and a broken garden rake

IMG_8309.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE