"How to eat like a WW1 Tommy" News article link.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice wee article Biker, though reading the "forgotten recipes" bit I was thinking - Not in Scotland they ain't. Cheers for posting. GB.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I liked the statement about cooks being taught to add a walnut sized lump of fat to keep the greens from boiling over. They'd love Southern greens (and pretty much ANY vegetable, other than corn, in Southern cooking) If it doesn't have at least as much pork fat (and more likely bits of salt pork or bacon or ham hock) as the veg, it ain't "fit to eat." LOL. Southern vegetables ain't for vegetarians.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
But sadly the book is a bit of a let down, sloppy editing means there are some things repeated, some pretty dull images of the covers of manuals etc. It is worth a read, but not worth a tender,in my humble etc
Shame, as the subject deserves more attention, see for instance "Deaths men" by Dennis Winter where he talks about how the Kitchener recruits grew in height and chest size when put through basic training as they were getting decent food and fresh air which was the first instance of either for too many. Their subsequent experiences are even sadder but none the less glorious for knowing that, and as the centenary of the start of WW one looms I find myself thinking of them.......

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
An interesting article, but I'm not sure that the food was all that great, judging by the literature.

Two of my great uncles were on the Western Front (a third was killed and my grandfather joined up twice under age), and the general view was that Army cooks tended to ruin even good ingredients (something my Dad said had not changed when he did National Service in the fifities), and that food was cold by the time it reached the front line, and was often boring at best. And of course what the Army said you should have and what you actually got, and how you got it, were two entirely different things

'Maconochie' stew was generally disliked, and of course it was only behind the front line that they got proper hot food, so the stew would be eated cold. If you add the high fat content of much of the tinned food, the chlorine in the water and the general conditions, many soldiers suffered from the runs. Packages from home must have been great, if only to have something different. Its true that officers ate the same thing as their men, but officers had the funds to allow them to order tinned and preserved foods that their men could not, and if you read officers accounts of the Western Front, they often get hampers from Fortnums, etc sent to them.

Having said that, the British faired better than the French - one of the demands of the mutineers in 1917 was for better food, and the supply of hot food to frontline units was often chaotic. Apparently it was often little different from Napoleon's time.

Did the Army feed its troops better than the food they might have had in civvie street? In lots of cases, yes. The Boer War had shown just how undernourished so many potential recruits were, and in 1913-14 there was a great deal of unemployment amoungst agricultural workers. My two great-uncles ultimately joined up in part because there were no jobs to be had on the land, and they had families to feed - at least in the Army you got fed, and paid. Their younger brother, Billy, went to Australia while in his teens, again to find work, because there was none at home.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for that, may get the book out on inter library loan if its not worth coughing for until its in the remainders bin.

for reciepts for a earlier war this is worth a look

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42544

Alexis Soyers Culinary Campaign , most of the volumes are too large but he does some for smaller groups and anyway you can always scale down.

atb

Tom

Ps when they excavate trenches they find lots of Worcester sauce and especially Gartons HP Saurce bottles.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE