Makers? A request...

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
First off, if this isn't in the right section please move it!

Ok, basically I have a wee project. I've bought a Svord Peasant and would like to customise it with new scales and a custom leather sheath.

Normally, I'd undertake such a project myself (cos I'm like that) but I just don't have the tools and can't warrant buying equipment for what could turn out to be a one off (the wife's eyes would fall out if they did any more rolling) So in the interests of capitalism I'd like to pay someone to do it for me.

So, how would I go about it? There's so many people on here would it be a case of just going through the makers forum and PMing people who's work I like? Saying that, if you have had something made by someone here and you thought it was awesome, let me know!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
First off, if this isn't in the right section please move it!

Ok, basically I have a wee project. I've bought a Svord Peasant and would like to customise it with new scales and a custom leather sheath.

Normally, I'd undertake such a project myself (cos I'm like that) but I just don't have the tools and can't warrant buying equipment for what could turn out to be a one off (the wife's eyes would fall out if they did any more rolling) So in the interests of capitalism I'd like to pay someone to do it for me.

So, how would I go about it? There's so many people on here would it be a case of just going through the makers forum and PMing people who's work I like? Saying that, if you have had something made by someone here and you thought it was awesome, let me know!
hi mate, i have sent you a pm.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
lads i have said what i think it would be to roughly make the sheath, and re handle the knife, but have said maybe he should choose what scale material he would like then it would a lot easier to gage what it would cost to take on the commission, and i think if a few of us that would like to do this, can put in what they would charge, by pm. and then he can pick the best price.
who ever takes it on i'm looking forward to see what its like.
as i think ther are a great knife.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Cheers Lee, that sounds like a plan. I'm at work right now but what I'll do is add potential woods and designs to the thread? I guess otherwise it's like asking how long a piece of string is!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I say we nominate someone to make this job. My vote's for Emma LOL!

I understand your thinking about buying tools etc, but I find minimal tools can be used for so many other things besides the one task you got them for. Stanley knife, awl, hammer, big needles, tourniquet and a box of assorted plasters is about all you need.

I'm Not trying to take the job away from Lee at all.

Anyway hope the project goes well, be sure to show pix of the before and after. Sounds interesting.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Yeah, it's tempting to buy the tools and have a go but I've been so impressed by the craftsmanship on here it'd be great to have something like that of my own. Either way, Lee has sold me on the shealth (plus his work is awesome) so later on tonight I'll post up what I'd like for the scales and people can pipe up! Lee included if he wants!

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
If Lee fancies a crack at this I'll throw in a set of scales towards it to keep the cost down if you like.
Just et me know what you like & I'll see what I have!
No catch, just fancy seeing what Lee could conjure up, anyway offers there!

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
If Lee fancies a crack at this I'll throw in a set of scales towards it to keep the cost down if you like.

Wow, that would be quite an offer. I might just have to take you up on that if Lee can handle the pressure!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think some spalted birch would be nice, or cherry perhaps. I'd like to keep an eye on this too - perhaps makers could just offer a customised svord as a job lot (ie. they buy it direct, customise it and ship it on with the bits left over)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i tell you what lads, he is one of the kindest blokes on here, a long time ago, i needed some brass lanyard yube, i put it up on bb, lots of people looking, ther was only one reply, and was sent various sizes to accomadate for what i needed, i only needed a little bit, culloch was the only one to reply and help me out. i still have little bits of each size left today, thats what i use for when i handle my fire steels

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
asfor the handling part of it, there are much better maker's on here than me for that job, i don't mind taking on the leather side, maybe culloch could handle it for you wink wink.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
check out Chris r he did this came up with a beautiful little thing too, he could be worth a PM, check out his thread and you will see.....

regards.

chris...

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Mike the smith from Gransfors Bruks who was teaching forging at the bushcraft show last weekend had a lovely little peasant knife which he had made for himself.
Cracking forged blade with a pretty short spur.He had left the blade in hammered black finish apart from the bevel and added some reclaimed fumed oak for the scales.It looked stunningly simple and the oak had gone a beautiful silvery grey/brown colour.Anyone else see it?
I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I have a Svord peasant myself: great knife let down by tacky looking scales.I bought some bog oak to replace them but not got round to it yet.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE