Make your own Titanium Billy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Stainless steel is great but I'm pretty partial to Titanium cookware ever since first trying it. However, I've yet to find a small Ti billy so the only solution was to make one.

I bought a Snow Peak 900 (my favorite pot) and I was going to make the bale from scratch but had trouble finding Ti wire or aluminum, either of which would have suited me. I started scrounging around and found an aluminum Swedish army cookset I never used and noticed that the bail is aluminum as well. I have two aluminum Swedish cooksets and the other has a steel bail so you can't count on an aluminum cookset having an aluminum bail. :dunno: Anyway, I robbed the aluminum bail and mounted it on the pot. A lot easier than making it from scratch. :) For rivets, I cut some lengths off an aluminum darning needle and peened them. So the whole project is pretty easy to do.

Here's what it looks like. Just finished it this evening so it's still a virgin. :)

tibilly1c.jpg

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
That is an excellent idea. I like the Zebra billies, but man are they heavy! A titanium one would be perfecto!
Maybe I can try my hand at making my own too. We'll see how that works out.
Cheers!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks guys. This is something I've been looking for for a long, long time and just got fed up waiting for some company to provide it. On a recent canoe trip I took, more than once I had wished my pot had a bail on it so I decided to get off my butt and make one.

campfire1c.jpg

I do think there's a Ti billy out there but IIRC, it's a huge one.

Sorry Tony, I have no idea what the problem is. :confused:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
Stainless steel is great but I'm pretty partial to Titanium cookware ever since first trying it. However, I've yet to find a small Ti billy so the only solution was to make one.

I bought a Snow Peak 900 (my favorite pot) and I was going to make the bale from scratch but had trouble finding Ti wire or aluminum, either of which would have suited me. I started scrounging around and found an aluminum Swedish army cookset I never used and noticed that the bail is aluminum as well. I have two aluminum Swedish cooksets and the other has a steel bail so you can't count on an aluminum cookset having an aluminum bail. :dunno: Anyway, I robbed the aluminum bail and mounted it on the pot. A lot easier than making it from scratch. :) For rivets, I cut some lengths off an aluminum darning needle and peened them. So the whole project is pretty easy to do.

Here's what it looks like. Just finished it this evening so it's still a virgin. :)

tibilly1c.jpg

Great idea hoodoo, mind if I ask what are the dimensions of the pot?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just checked...

Pot Dimensions:
4 3/4"d x 4 1/4"
Lid Dimensions:
5"d x 1 1/2"
Stowed Dimensions:
5"d x 5 1/2"
Total Weight:
6.2 oz / 175g
Materials:
Titanium

4.75 inches dia is 12cm, it looks to me like it's a very comparable size to the 12cm zebra billy.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Martyn said:
Just checked...

4.75 inches dia is 12cm, it looks to me like it's a very comparable size to the 12cm zebra billy.

Yup, only the 12 cm Zebra weighs 16 oz on my scale and this weighs 8 oz, with bail. With a hand-crafted bail, you could make it even lighter as this bail is pretty robust.

Also, this pot has an extended handle on the lid that makes it more useful than the lid on the Zebra.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
gregorach said:
If the pot has a lip, you might find my Crusader Cup Hanger useful. Or perhaps not - I'm not sure how well it will work on a round pot.

I have the cup hanger, it just doesn't work well with a pot that size. Works like a charm on my cup though.

I was thinking of useing those metal clams, you know the kinds you find on pie backing thingies ( how do you call those things again?) and make a attachment for the bail arm. Making it much sturdier, but easily removed when not needed. Well that was my idea, just still not able to do it right.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
Yup, only the 12 cm Zebra weighs 16 oz on my scale and this weighs 8 oz, with bail. With a hand-crafted bail, you could make it even lighter as this bail is pretty robust.

Also, this pot has an extended handle on the lid that makes it more useful than the lid on the Zebra.

Yes, I can see the benefit. Are the rivets water tight? How did you brace them on the inside when you were peening the outside?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE