Make fire with just a newspaper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The challenge is .... To start with only a newspaper and make fire. No, I haven't succeeded, or tried very hard yet on this. Plenty of scope for trying to modify existing techniques or new ideas.

I've got heat. Anyone able to get smoke?

No tools except your own hands, teeth etc. no, no glasses for a lens either.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm guessing some sort of fire plough might be an avenue worth exploring. Seems that friction is the only thing that could work

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm assuming you mean on demand? However - Hay bales spontaneuously combust, I'm guessing the same could be true of bales of newspaper.

http://www.psla.umd.edu/extension/publications/haycombustionp1c.pdf
Hay that was too wet from rain or dew or that was not allowed to dry sufficiently in the field will
go through a curing process (sometimes referred to as a sweat) in storage. During the curing process,
heat is produced. This heat buildup is caused from live plant tissue respiration coupled with bacteria and
mold activity. Plant respiration converts plant sugars to water and carbon dioxide, increases neutral
detergent fiber (NDF) and acid detergent fiber (ADF) and decreases the net energy content of the hay.
Plant respiration slows as moisture content decreases but does not stop until plant moisture is 20% or
less. Mold organisms grow in hay having 20 to 35% moisture content. As with plant respiration, molds
likewise consume plant sugars, producing water and carbon dioxide, causing loss of dry matter,
digestible nutrients and net energy. The production of water through plant and mold organism
respiration can actually increase the moisture content of hay in storage (sweating) if the moisture is not
able to escape from the bale, mow (the pile of hay in the part of a barn where hay is stored), or stack.
Plant and mold respiration also generate heat. If the hay heats to 100°F or higher, browning
reactions begin (also called carmelization). In these reactions, proteins and amino acids combine with
plant sugars to form a brown polymer resembling lignin. This results in increased levels of ADF and of
acid detergent insoluble protein (bound protein) and reduced digestibility and net energy (Table 1).
Browning reactions release heat, and when coupled with heating from mold growth, result in an upward
spiral in temperatures of the hay mass. If the water generated by plant and mold organism respiration is
not able to escape from the bale, mow or stack, then what initially may have been a relatively small wet
spot becomes bigger and bigger as the heating drives moisture into hay surrounding the spot.

Although most problems with spontaneous combustion begin occurring within two weeks after
hay has been placed in storage, combustion is possible for two months. Growers, especially those who
know that the hay was a little too wet or green when it went into storage, should start checking for
temperature rises within two days following storage and monitor on a daily basis for at least 10 days to
two weeks. Depending upon storage conditions and initial moisture content of the hay, it may be
necessary to continue monitoring for up to two months. But generally, any problems that result from
storing hay with an excessive moisture content are most likely to occur during the first month of storage.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No - shan't!
A lot of newspaper articles are inflamatory anyway - you may not need to try too hard if you use a selection of those articles!
I just had a try with the Daily Wail ... as a fire plough... hot but no smoke ... a fair bit of sweat was generated though!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Maybe you could roll some single sheats really tight, locking it with spittle. When it's dried out you could use it as a handdrill?
I like your thinking. Does it work?

I think the spirit of the challenge would allow water by the way. So maybe objects made of paper mashe could be a way to go.

Also, if one paper wasn't enough for your method then a few would be a reasonable 2nd best.

If more than one solution then the quickest would be the best. Composting type solutions would be of limited practical value, but I'd be interested if someone actually did it successfully.

Why are we doing this? Trying something new extends your practical skills and thinking outside the box. Looking at ordinary objects around you and bending them to survival uses is a significant part of my approach to bushcraft.

I like the thought about using The Sun. The Mirror might be combined with it?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Can we add string as a binder? I ask this because if you wet the paper to make it soild it will take about a week to dry, if its instant fire, you have to have a binder.

S

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
might as well ask someone to make fire with a house brick...

you've only given us one side of the fire triangle.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE