maiden voyage!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
A bit of an update;

Haven't been out yet but I've got hold of a better sleeping bag and I've got all of this coming weekend to play with :D

I've found a problem with my intended wood though which is a major worry, it's a long narrow wood and I thought I'd be well out of the way at the back corner of it but I had a day in there at the weekend and found that where I wanted to go has a well trodden path running through it, it's not on an o.s map but that doesn't mean it's not used :bluThinki so it's not going to be easy to get well out of the way.

So, I've been looking at other places for a night officially and not so officially but I've drawn a blank so far, I visited a scout site I used when I was a scout and a venture scout which would be ideal but there was no-one there, I've got the warden's number though so the question is what would you say to him/her?

Oh, and do you guys use a pillow in a hammock or do you find you don't really need one?

All being well, I'll get out somewhere between thursday and sunday, bit the forcast says snow :rolleyes: lol, a baptism of fire :neo2:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've found a problem with my intended wood though which is a major worry, it's a long narrow wood and I thought I'd be well out of the way at the back corner of it but I had a day in there at the weekend and found that where I wanted to go has a well trodden path running through it, it's not on an o.s map but that doesn't mean it's not used

This needn't be too much of a problem. All depends on what time you are thinking of getting there. Keep in mind time of year, and weather, I would suggest that after 4.00pm or so, it's highly unlikely that anyone will be out for a walk after that time.
Mind you, if you're thinking of making an all-dayer of it, or if it backs on to houses, you may be well-advised to give it a miss.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Think I've found somewhere and I'm all set for tomorow, weather permitting - it's a big wood but deciduous so not much shelter. If it's a fairly still night and I can find a sheltered spot I think I'll be fine. People already think I'm mad, they don't seem to believe I'll do it lol.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A bit of an update;

Haven't been out yet but I've got hold of a better sleeping bag and I've got all of this coming weekend to play with :D

I've found a problem with my intended wood though which is a major worry, it's a long narrow wood and I thought I'd be well out of the way at the back corner of it but I had a day in there at the weekend and found that where I wanted to go has a well trodden path running through it, it's not on an o.s map but that doesn't mean it's not used :bluThinki so it's not going to be easy to get well out of the way.

So, I've been looking at other places for a night officially and not so officially but I've drawn a blank so far, I visited a scout site I used when I was a scout and a venture scout which would be ideal but there was no-one there, I've got the warden's number though so the question is what would you say to him/her?

Oh, and do you guys use a pillow in a hammock or do you find you don't really need one?

All being well, I'll get out somewhere between thursday and sunday, bit the forcast says snow :rolleyes: lol, a baptism of fire :neo2:

Contact the warden and be honest about what you want to do. If your not going to do anything silly or which can later be regarded as vandalism, then whats the problem with asking?
Tell them you want to practice minimum trace/impact camping and see what they say.;)
If you can, offer to do something as a volunteer in return.

just ideas, please feel free to ignore if you wish;)
R.B.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Contact the warden and be honest about what you want to do. If your not going to do anything silly or which can later be regarded as vandalism, then whats the problem with asking?
Tell them you want to practice minimum trace/impact camping and see what they say.;)
If you can, offer to do something as a volunteer in return.

just ideas, please feel free to ignore if you wish;)
R.B.

R.b. unfortunately you're a bit late, I rang him and before I'd got far at all it was a resounding NO, unless I was part of a youth orginisation - worries about strange men and kids etc. But thanks for the advise.

I'm going elsewhere, unofficially (no other way at the moment) but it's a huge wood and there doesn't seem to be much going on in it, there's footpaths but I can get well away from them and should be able to get out of sight. I just hope I can find a sheltered spot, we're forecast snow for the weekend!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE