Mahogany for an Axe handle?

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
After seeing the excellent results that people have had in putting a handle on an old refurbished axe head I thought that I would give it a try. I have the axe head and have cleaned it up ( its a lot easier without the handle on ) I now just need to decide what wood to use for the handle. Whilst I would like eventually to cut some wood, split it and let it season, that is a project for next year and I wanted to get started sooner than that.

To that end I searched through my old bits of wood in my attic and found a large piece of mahogany with a good straight grain - I believe it used to be part of an old staircase. The question is would the mahogany make a reasonable handle for an axe? does it have the right properties or would it be too hard and brittle. With the colour and grain of the wood I think it could look fantastic but it has to be able to be used. I would appreciate any advise anybody can give on this.

I have attached a photo of the axe head along side a small forest and a mini hatchet for comparison. Handle lengthwise I would be looking to do similar to a Scandinavian forest axe, similar shape as well.

Attachments

• bushcraft 005a.jpg
    bushcraft 005a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 143

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It may depends on the Mahogany! Mahogany is more brittle and does not have the springiness and shock absorbing qualities of either Ash or Hickory, and would be more likely to crack/snap with the shocks imposed on the handle when you use it. Personally, I would not use it.

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Thanks for your input guys, I guess with asking the question I thought there might be a problem. It was just such a nice piece of wood I thought it would be worth asking those who know these things.

I will have to go and find myself some ash now and put of the re-handling until it has had time to season. I suppose I can at least use a small piece of the mahogany as a wedge!

Thanks again,

Jon

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Thanks for your input guys, I guess with asking the question I thought there might be a problem. It was just such a nice piece of wood I thought it would be worth asking those who know these things.

I will have to go and find myself some ash now and put of the re-handling until it has had time to season. I suppose I can at least use a small piece of the mahogany as a wedge!

Thanks again,

Jon

Work the Ash while it is green, get the shape 90% done & leave plenty of extra wood at the head end so you can fit it to the eye & adjust the throw when it has seasoned. It should then season in weeks or months rather than months/years if put somewhere warm & dry.

All the best.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Find a nice straight grained peace of ash 18mm 3/4" thick and laminate (glue) two 6mm 1/4" thick pieces of mohogany to the sides and then carve the handle best of both worlds. use a good glue though.

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
that would really tick all the boxes for me - a combination of the spring with the ash but the hardness and beautiful dark grain of the mahogany and the contrast between the 2 at the periphery. A bit like a wooden version of an f1 blade! On a practical note would an epoxy glue be enough or would I need to peg or biscuit the woods together?

Thanks

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE