Magnetic Knife storage

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm in the process of re-thinking all my kit storage in the light of a forthcoming workshop build, and as I was putting one of my kitchen knives away on it's magnetic rack this morning I began to wonder if there are any downsides to storing knives in this way; would it perhaps be the case that the magnetic field might have a detrimental effect on some steels? If I can't find a good reason not to store steel in this way it would be an elegant solution to not only knife storage but all sorts of other carving and hand tools as well.

Any thoughts out there?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They scratch the blades, and sometimes you can damage the edge and tip when putting them on or taking them off. I'm not a big fan and don't use ours anymore.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the fast response, JD, I've overcome that aspect with my kitchen knives by sticking a length of bike inner tube to the magnetic strip; works well in the kitchen but perhaps not robust enough in the workshop, eh?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Good idea. I thought about buying some thin sheets of sticky backed cork to do the same. Never got around to it though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE