Magnesium Rod

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
At work they were overhauling the boilers and I ended up being given a three foot (maybe a metre?) inch wide rod made from what i was told was magnesium. It's something to do with stopping corrosion or something and the surface was brown and nobbly. When we sawed through it it was shiny metal from about 2mm in so I cut it into three and brought it home. I'm pretty sure it is magnesium as the tea spoon full of powder left over from the sawing went up in a huge flash when I put a match to it (tied to a stick, head turned away).

Anyway I intend to cut it up into 4 inch lenghts for swaps as I've found the much derided magnesium block fire starter shavings to be quite useful for adding to the good old vaseline and cotton wool tinder. I wouldn't buy a block now but since this was free...

Any other sugestions what can be done with it (no rude ones please! ;-{D)

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
TeeDee, PM me and I'll stick a lump in the post. 4 inches enough?

I'm far too lazy to do anything with it except dig out a old surform and grate some of it for pepping up my fire starting goo!

ATB

Tom

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
TeeDee, PM me and I'll stick a lump in the post. 4 inches enough?

I'm far too lazy to do anything with it except dig out a old surform and grate some of it for pepping up my fire starting goo!

ATB

Tom

Tom , Have sent an E-mail as your not taking PM's.
Thanks.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
You could crush some match heads into powder, mix it with the scraped magnesium powder and pour that in to a straw, home made fireworks!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Any other sugestions what can be done with it (no rude ones please!

If you join the three lengths together, it can be used in a boiler!
happy0009.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
happy0054.gif

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Do'h! please send again as i hadn't updated my e-mail address

sorry!

ATB

Tom

Tom Just tried , you need to do 'something' with your user settings.. sorry thats as technical as this ape gets...

"tombear has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove tombear from the recipient list and send the message again."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE