Magnesium filled Briqettes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Not sure whether this is better off being here or on Firecraft but as it's a little more generalised than true fire craft I'll leave it here..

Last week I was visiting a friend on the South coast for a few days sea fishing. The weather was, quite simply, attrocious, with on-shore gales of force 10 and driving rain and hail. We knew that it wasn't going to stop us getting out there but felt the need to make provisions for a little warmth and comfort beneath the fishing brolly. My mate said "That's Ok, I've got stuff in the car we can build a little fire with!" so off we went...

Turns out that he had packed a bag of BBQ charcoal briquettes, and nothing else.
We tried in vain to find anything on or near the beach that would burn (Other than horrid old plastic) and what with the wind and rain, lighting the damned briquettes turned out to be almost impossible.... Almost.

For years I have carried in my fishing box one of those little magnesium block and ferro rod fire lighters. I realised that the conditions meant that the shavings of magnesium would be gone to the horizon long before I had enough to be of any use if I tried the normal trick of making a nice pile of them before striking the sparks onto them. But how to get the charcoal lit?

After borrowing a braincell or two ( I think they were from something soft and squishy washed up at the high water mark) I decided to use the can opener blade of my SAK to make a deep, conical hole in one of the briquettes. I drilled almost all the way through the briquette in no time, and filled the hole with shavings from the magnesium block. One strike of sparks from the ferro rod and they caught, burning so intensely that the charcoal had little option other than to light.
Within a few minutes we had a heap of burning briquettes in a hollow in the sand under the brolly and kept ourselves warm by it for the next 8 hours.

I hate to think of all the miles I've carried that little block of magnesium, but it certainly isn't ever going to be left behind now. It really earned it's keep that day, lighting the briquette first time on a day when even my powerful 3 flame jet lighter kept blowing out and refusing to even get the charcoal warm.

Had it not been for that little fire I'm sure we would have packed up our kit hours earlier than we did, and then I'd have not caught that big fat Dover Sole I had for dinner when we eventually got home that night :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Spikey DaPikey said:
Good idea :)

Im still having trouble 'shaving' mine though, any tips ? :eek:

Try a mach 3, it’s the best a man can get :rolleyes:

Or instead of trying to shave the magnesium block , use the saw-blade that most of these magnesium block all seem to come for use as a striker, and cut off the very end, there would be enough magnesium dust, from cutting off a millimetre or so, to light the thin slice, I’ve found it is more than enough to start a fire.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
With mine I find that I get the best shavings by holding the teeth of the piece of hacksaw blade at about 45 degrees to the flat of the magnesium block AND at about 45 degrees to the length of the block. I then use a sawing motion diagonally across the entire side of the magnesium, moving only the blade whilst holding the block firmly in place. It's not long before I have a set of grooves where the teeth of the blade settle and run with every stroke and start to shave off a good regular amount of the block with every pass. Keeping things constant like this also helps to concentrate the pile of shavings into one spot rather than spreading them around the place.
Using the teeth of the blade to strike sparks from the ferro rod is the most effective way, but if I can get away with using the straight edge of the blade (Less sparks but still enough in good weather conditions) I will do so to prevent excess wear on the rod.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Cheers guys !! Just tried in the garden, and got it to light !!

One thing i have found tho, if you use the end of the hacksaw blade, the small bit where it's been cut from the length, BOY does it throw sparks !!

Again, thanks for you help !! :You_Rock_

wanders off to burn things......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE