Maglite LED conversion!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
troyka said:
anyone tried the 4 led versions?
i stopped using my maglite due to its poor performance, so interested to see this discussion.

the 4 led version here..
http://tinyurl.com/lyk4w

ian

Ian

I'm quite interested in the cyan led for my 3d maglite which LED-Torches.co.uk (the company in your tinyurl) have on offer for GB26.95.

I'm a bit puzzled though that what is apparently a UK company has quoted the price as including 16% tax (when UK VAT is 17.5%) and excluding shipping.

Did your led replacement kit arrive via customs and excise, with no additional VAT? Did it come from outside the EU? If so, shouldn't they exclude their local tax if they are exporting goods?

Cheers, Ris

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
WOW :eek:

I had a wander round my local "Blacks" during my lunch hour today, big sale on got a couple of Helly base layer t-shirts that i like when i'm out walking. Splashed out a tenner on the Nite-ize 3LED conversion kit for the AA Maglite....What a difference, really bright, good puddle of light and i hope a big saving on batteries.

I have to admit i think i will go back to the original base cap, i don't need a 'tactical' switch and i like the ability to put a lanyard on it.

If you havn't bought one yet...GO AND DO IT...NOW! :D

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Shame there is no conversion kit on the AAA - solitaire mag

Shame I dont own a Mini mag, however they are not expensive and with the results you posted I might buy one with a conversion kit instead of a Surefire....

Anyone any options?

Anway glad you are happy with yours! Thanks for teh update!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
It depends on what you want Ryan,

The converted Maglite will definately be used more now probably as a backup to my Surefire 6P. I have recently updated this to the 120 lumen bulb and am very impressed with the amount of light it throws out. Of course this is a compromise with the greatly reduced run time. Batteries for the surefire can be expensive, there are cheaper options. I run mine on panasonic lithium cells which i got from evil-bay. I got 50 from Hong Kong for £29.99. This makes them much more cost effective to run.
As i only install ed the conversion today i can't comment on the extended run time claims for the maglite however as British Red posted i think i can expect quite an improvement!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ryan,

It is possible to self mod a AAA solitaire, there was a thread once upon a time about it. Basically, an LED of a particular type, can't remember which, a 12v battery the ones which are a little shorter than a AAA battery, a piece of plastic to insulate the spring from the body of the maglite and a correctly rated resistor which completes the circuit.

Sorry I can't be a little more precise, it was either on here or British Blades, but it also may have then been an external link to a brights site somewhere. I would suggest waiting for a Jamie to come along, they'll probably know more!

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Wow thanks for our help mate...!! Sounds brilliantly interesting, fingers crossed Jamie comes along.

Sounds rather simple, even for someone who isnt into electronics at all, so I'm suprised no one explored the idea yet... Add a tactical swtich to the setup and I think people will buy it...

:You_Rock_

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
ArkAngel said:
As i only install ed the conversion today i can't comment on the extended run time claims for the maglite however as British Red posted i think i can expect quite an improvement!

The trick is to combine the LED conversium with Lithium AAs - the Lithiums alone will give 5 times the run time of Duracells. So I reckon the LED will give you 24 hours, add in the Lithiums and you have a really good package. I flinched at the price of the Lithiums but due to the vastly superior run time they are okay in the long run - lighter than loads of batteries if your Digicam lives with you too!

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here in the colonies they sell the conversion kit at Wally World, but without the tail cap. Cost is under $5. I like the tail cap conversion for around the house but otherwise, prefer the standard tail cap for the trail. As folks have noticed, it's too easily accidentaly switched on.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I have the nite eze led converson for the AA Mag and while it's an improvement on the original bulb (not to mention the longer run time) I don't think it will replace either my surefire or my gladius.
However I can't deny it's excellant upgrade(and certainly good value for money).

Ryan theres a good thread here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16661&highlight=solitare

I haven't tried it yet (it's on the list :rolleyes: ) but MBM's suggestions look pretty good.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
i quite like the switch, it's sort of gagety (how sad am i?) but as you say do you really need it!
Not that sad! I love mine to pieces - tis never far away, whether I'm bushcrafting, or in the office!!!

Proper good investment I thought - especially like the sure fire feel - without the "OMG WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO" feeling!! :rolleyes:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
OK Red

I've been out in my lunch hour and got some lithium battery's (I'll need a lie down in a darkend room after seeing the cost :D ), not that bad actually and Boots are doing a buy 4 get 4 free for £6.99.
Lets see how long they last..and remember if i don't get 5 years out of my first set i know where you live ;)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah I bought the upgrade kit for about £8 off of www.springfields.co.uk and it greatly improved the power of my old maglite. My dad has always sworn by them, but time is moving on and stuff is getting brighter and lighter.
I was quite pleased with the upgrade kit, but it didnt really stand much of a chance to my LED lenser V3.
Iv never liked headlamps, they'd always seemed to bother me flapping around and bobbing up and down on top of my head. Iv always prefered a small handheld light and a very small 10p sized one around my neck, such as the INOVA microlite. To me though, nothin beats a natural flame - but I wont sacrifice for practicality.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am glad this thread has come up, I have had a mini maglite for ages and to be honest compared to my Petzl Tikka plus, its fairly crap.

Its not that bright, the batteries don't last very long at all and the bulbs are not much better either.
Converting it to run on LEDs might just save it from the depths of the kitchen drawer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE