Made myself a toaster.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi Guys,
Was a bit bored earlier, so sat outside with a brew and made myself a toaster from a bit of fencing wire that i had kicking about.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMTA5LTAwMTc0LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMTA5LTAwMTc5LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMTA5LTAwMTc4LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMTA5LTAwMTc3LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMTA5LTAwMTc2LmpwZw.jpg

The way the bread is mounted means you can toast both sides with a flick of the wrist!
Not very bushy i know but i do like a slice of toast in the morning.

Lou1661

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I would be concerned about the galvanising, it can be very toxic but I love what you have done. Maybe find some stainless wire to be safe?

I will be honest, all the info i could find on the web was saying that the zinc melts at a very low temp of 419 degrees C i think my toast would be burned by that point, i guess if its an issue the toast holder could be made of stainless or thick copper wire.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I will be honest, all the info i could find on the web was saying that the zinc melts at a very low temp of 419 degrees C i think my toast would be burned by that point, i guess if its an issue the toast holder could be made of stainless or thick copper wire.

Of course I have no idea, its just something that would worry me coming in contact with food. You tend not to see any food containers or cookware made from galvanised steel but that in itself may not mean anything and I'm sure the odd bit of toast wont cause a big problem.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Its the cyanide that's used in the galv process that gets folks worried. Dunno if its a real worry or an urban myth though?

Liam

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Yup... and bread toasts at about 155deg C :)

Neat idea by the way Lou goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE