Made me a boat bowl...

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I've long wanted to make this kind of bowl inspired by Bengt Lidströms (passed away years ago) amazing bowls. He made them with the bark side up. This is my first bowl of this type made of birch. It was very fun to make.
Have fun and have a go. Here is an old video of Bengt himself in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYwsFsPIBYM

2yy7eww.jpg

4g8r7.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely bowl that, the curves of the "keel" are just beautiful. Looks like it'd hold a fair serving of soup too! Fill any hungry Viking after a raid that would.
Are you intending it as a user or a show-er?

Lovely work.
GB

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks well my raiding days are over and I dont eat soup that often. I might coat it with linseed oil or perhaps paint it somehow!

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Very nice indeed! I'm wondering if you could tell me what you used to carve the wood out from the spaces inbetween the circles and the rest of the boat. I always struggle with tight spots like this and I'm not quite sure what the best tool for the job is :confused:

Edit: Ignore that, I somehow missed the link to the video :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Very nice indeed! I'm wondering if you could tell me what you used to carve the wood out from the spaces inbetween the circles and the rest of the boat. I always struggle with tight spots like this and I'm not quite sure what the best tool for the job is :confused:
You must have sharp tools, controll and power. I'm using the tips of my mora carving knife and mora spoon knife. The spoon knifes tip is quite nice to use for this if you think about it, it is useless when carving a spoon though imho. Very green soft wood is more difficult to cut clean small details in.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a beauty :D it'd look good on the table or on display. Practical shape and size for all it's artistry too :cool:

I need to have a look for Bengt's work I think :)

atb,
Toddy

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
You must have sharp tools, controll and power. I'm using the tips of my mora carving knife and mora spoon knife. The spoon knifes tip is quite nice to use for this if you think about it, it is useless when carving a spoon though imho. Very green soft wood is more difficult to cut clean small details in.

Great information, thankyou. I had a quick look at the video you provided and became completely mesmorised watching that guy work. I have a great appreciation for the level of control he had. Very inspiring :)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Very cool Tjurved, Thanks for showing and the video too.
Im making a large Cherry serving plate in a similar way at the moment but Im being very careful with the drying. Hope to have it done soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE