made a saw today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice saw, from the looks you made mortice and tenon joints ?, the only very small critique from me would be that the tensioner is a tad small, it could easily slip off the cross brace.

I was on the second Mors course this summer, he made one with friction locking, no joints, all done by the tensioner.

Some of the bits, sorry I videoed most of it, and I havent managed to make them smaller as yet, they're 215mb each :eek:
CIMG0079.jpg

What finish did you apply to it ?

Good job

Cheers

Stephen

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
What did you use for the pins to hold the blade into either handle?
I once made the mistake of using ordinary thin wire nails on a turning saw-similar to yours except the 2 handles can turn to any angle. I cranked the toggle to tension the blade (recycled from an old disston panel saw), and one of the pins snapped. In a split, split second the loosened handle swung round like a giant rat trap and smashed into the side of my head just above my left ear. In less than a minute it was swollen up like an egg. Now I use masonary nails as they are toughened:lmao:

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
I actually used 2 axe handles for the wood, those diy shops seem to only sell spruce in usable sizes, I'm not sure what kind of wood this is, probbably ash or hickory.
For the pins i used 5mm galvanised bolts with wing nuts on both sides.
The tensioner is actually slightly s shaped and if positioned correctly it wil fit around the main brace.
I did not realy use a finish on the wood, just a quick whipe with sunflower oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE