Made a folding tripod

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

JohnC

Full Member
Jun 28, 2005
2,624
83
64
Edinburgh
Made a small folding tripod stool, I used some canvas to make a triangle with pockets on each corner. Then used 18" lengths of wood, tied together... Wanted something I could take along and cut a bit of wood to size if required.

stool1.jpg


stool2.jpg


stool3.jpg


It seems sturdy enough.
 
Neat :D

I literally came on line to ask about seating, particularly camp stuff that could me mostly made in situ, and you have neatly sorted it for me :D

atb,
M
 
Is that ... rain? :yikes:

I remember rain ... vaguely.

I like the stool a lot, got one very similar made with a leather seat and a "tricorn" set up of 3 welded together 6mm bolts. Does the job but I find I want something I can lean my back against (besides a tree.)

As has been said, sure beats sitting on wet grass ... if only I had the choice. Phew it's bleedin' 'ot 'ere!
 
Sound thinking!
Might be worth spending a few extra minutes rounding-off the tops of your sticks or they'll be thru' the canvas in no time.
 
i cant see your pics as i'm at work and in thie infinite wisdom, they have photo sharing sites blocked, BUT your thread reminded me of an instructible i saw once about a hiking staff that turns into a tripod stool.. (it seems that instructables.com is blocked too, but i assure you, search hiking staff stool and you should find it there somewhere)

EDIT: after returning home i checked out your pics, and its a very good idea, since you dont actually have to carry the sticks and can cut them in the field.. oh and HERE is the link for the hiking staff i mentioned before.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE