Macpac 'guarantee'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
A few years ago I bought a macpac glissade 75lt rucksack. At the time it cost a fortune but I was given all the 'lifetime guarantee' patter by the salesman. A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of the plastic sleeeves that allow the shouder straps to slide up and down the alluminium frame had snapped.

i took it into the Macpac shop only to be told 'No we expect the plastic to break after 8-10 years so that's not covered.' The fault is so common the guy in the shop could tell me exactly how they'd fix it, how much it would cost (35 pounds) and how long it would take.

Prior to the macpac I had a Karrimor Jaguar which also had a lifetime guarantee, they not only fixed some loose stiching but also fix multiple other problems such as rips from barbed wire fences what were clearly my fault I had expected to pay for. But they didn't charge me a penny.

one other thing, comparing my one (9 years old and made in New Zealand) with the new ones made in China the new ones are no where near as well made and the cotton is much thinner.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sadly,"Lifetime" always refers to the expected lifetime of the item.

Karrimor used to be based a few miles from where I live. They always gave good service, and have repaired many of my rucksacs for free in the past. What a pity a good company has ceasd to trade in its original form!

In a similar vane:
A friend of a friend used to work for a well known car company, in their R & D lab. His job was to design items that would fail in 10 years. His brief was along the lines of, maintenance "free" then a sudden failure, resulting in part replacement!

I have never bought one of their cars, but am sure other manufacturers do it too!

Simon

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
A few years ago I bought a macpac glissade 75lt rucksack. At the time it cost a fortune but I was given all the 'lifetime guarantee' patter by the salesman. A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of the plastic sleeeves that allow the shouder straps to slide up and down the alluminium frame had snapped.

i took it into the Macpac shop only to be told 'No we expect the plastic to break after 8-10 years so that's not covered.' The fault is so common the guy in the shop could tell me exactly how they'd fix it, how much it would cost (35 pounds) and how long it would take.

Hi...I have been a loyal Macpac user for many years. They costs a bomb, especially with the conversion rate here in Malaysia. It is sad to know hear about your situation.

Can I suggest that you contact Macpac NZ directly and get their feedback.

This could also be due to the rumors I heard about Macpac being sold to another NZ company. They have also shifted most of their production to Philippines.

http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.com/

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Sadly,"Lifetime" always refers to the expected lifetime of the item.

Karrimor used to be based a few miles from where I live. They always gave good service, and have repaired many of my rucksacs for free in the past. What a pity a good company has ceasd to trade in its original form!

In a similar vane:
A friend of a friend used to work for a well known car company, in their R & D lab. His job was to design items that would fail in 10 years. His brief was along the lines of, maintenance "free" then a sudden failure, resulting in part replacement!

I have never bought one of their cars, but am sure other manufacturers do it too!

Simon

Was a sad day they shut the factory shop at karrimor!!! im near there myself

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE