Machu Picchu Holiday Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
This topic has been thrown about in our house hold for next years summer holidays!! However my idea of getting the bus upto the gate has been ejected for some sort of trek!! anyone treked up there, what sort of hike is it?

Generally, any holiday tips for Machu Picchu, Lima etc

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
My sister is just back 4 weeks ago from Machu picchu, doing a charity sponsored hike, she aint your usual every weekend hiker, but i suppose she is fit enough, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and i will get any info i can from her.

Hope this helps you, just incase nobody else from this site has been there....

boxcorsair

Dec 31, 2010
York
Hi there

I did a 4 day trek a few years ago. We used a company called Peru Treks. You can email them at info@perutreks.com. We choose them due to the conditions, pay etc of their porters... some companies really pus these guys, but Peru Treks are well known for fair pay and the like. The guides, food and general tour was amazing. The walk is relatively easy for a normal adult. The second day (which takes you to the wonderfully titles dead womans pass) is the toughest due to the continual climb; a bit tough on the knees. But a good stout walking stick and it shouldn't cause any probs.

You can take a train up but you will arrive later than if treking; we reached the sun gate for 6am... sunrise pretty much.

We spend 4 weeks over there and covered Lima (Mira Flores was nice but not a great fan of Lima to be honest), down to Huacachina (oasis in the desert), spent time in Arequipa (beautiful city), saw Condor in Calca Canyon, spent a few days with a family on lake Titicaca, before heading back through the mountains to Cusco and Machu Picchu. We rounded the whole trip off with 6 days in the jungle via Puerto Maldonado (we went with Eco Adventures... again amazing...). The whole month only cost around £1k including all trips, food, accommodation and spending. I would go back in a flash.

Pm me if you want more info. All the best

boxcorsair

Dec 31, 2010
York
ps I forgot to add... our summer isn't the best time to go... their spring is around Sept-Nov and probably best weather wise. I once spent some time in Argentina in high summer and it got unbearably hot. Depending where you are going in Peru, there is a rainy season... a quick google turned up this..

Travelers can visit Peru any time of the year. Dry season runs from May to November and this is typically the time that is most recommended. However, this is also the cooler time of year. Nighttime temperatures can drop to below freezing at the height of the dry season. June, July and August are the most popular months to visit so you will tend to encounter much larger crowds during these months.

In the wet season (December to April), you can expect showers three to four afternoons a week. For travelers that don't mind a little drizzle and muddy trails, this time of year offers smaller crowds and greener hillsides, with wildflowers and orchids often in bloom.

The shoulder seasons, April to June or September to November can often provide the best of both worlds. They typically have fewer crowds and warmer temperatures than the height of the dry season, but still tend to have relatively little rain. For more information, check out our Peru Weather page.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds like fun. Just remember what boxcarsair said about the seasons; they are reversed below the Equator. If you go in their cool season it might be a good chance to pick up some alpaca wool clothing while there.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
As long as you have a decent level of fitness thats all you need strength wise the killer out there is the altitute which affects people differently. I have done the trail and did not find it to bad but some in the group really struggled.
Fitter you are, the easier it will help you do it but no guarantee in regards to altitude.

If you haven't travelled before i suggest you go on line and shop around for a travel company and go with them, there are many to choose from and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE