Macdonald Armouries Apprenticeship Trials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hello folks, thought I would share with you my experience with the apprenticeship trials with Macdonald Armouries in Edinburgh.

Last year, Paul Macdonald advertised he was running trials for an apprentice and it seemed to go viral overnight, i'm sure some of you will remember as it was posted up on here. I was still in Norway at the time, but got my application in as soon as I could with the rest of them. There were at least over a thousand applications! Well, just before the new year Paul contacted me to let me know I had been selected as one of the few to make it through to the third phase and if I could come in for a couple days for a trial with him. So I took a few days of work, and headed upto Edinburgh. I had no idea what was in store, just an interest to see this through...

Finding my way around Edinburgh, I managed to find the armoury. I knew I was definitely in the right place when I spotted the shields from the Talhoffer manual on the doors :)

WP_000521 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

After a meet & greet, a brew, and a healthy consumption of shortbread, I felt very comfortable around Paul and was like a kid in a toy shop in the armoury. He outlined the work for the day was restoring some old muskets dated 1742, which were to be delivered the following day to Inverary Castle on the west coast. Some of them still had old blood and black powder residue ingrained in the mechanisms. The day was spent stripping down, cleaning, polishing, and waxing the muskets with plenty of good conversation and banter. As the whole apprenticeship trials is being filmed for a documentary, we were on film for most of the day too. Here are a couple of poor pictures I snapped on my phone of the muskets

WP_000528 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000523 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000532 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

I was chuffed to bits at being able to restore just two of these muskets, whilst Paul had already done 18 and done another two on the day with me. In total, just 22 muskets out of the collection of over 200 at the castle due for restoration. I had a great day, absorbed in the armoury and couldn't get enough. Paul asked if I would like to help him deliver the muskets to the castle the following day which I couldn't resist.

So the next morning we set off for Inverary Castle, my first visit. We were greeted by His Grace the Duke of Argyll, and shown into one of the main rooms where some of his staff were working on restoring more of the muskets. The entire castle was under renovation with all the arms and armour taken down from the walls. After taking the muskets in for delivery, Argyll wanted advice on the restoration of some of the other items they had for display. Things became very interesting indeed. There were swords, targes, halberds, suits of armour, rifles, dirks, flintlock and wheelock pistols. So Aryll sought Pauls advice on how best to care for the steel and brass, and sought my advice on how best to care for the old worn leather on the targes. We were told we could examine whatever we wanted, and were left to it. So we were shown around some rooms to examine some old dirks, some items which supposedly belonged to Rob Mcgregor, armour, shields, and were very lucky to see (and touch) some of the banners from Culloden. Here are a few more poor quality shots

WP_000537 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000540 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000541 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000543 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000545 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000550 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

After poring over the arms and armour, we came to the real gem of the visit. There goes the legend that after the battle of Culloden, Cumberland had the slain Jacobites swords taken from the battlefield, desecrated by cutting off the tips and tangs, and made into a fence around his house. When the house was demolished in the 1800's the blades were given to Inverary Castle. We were humbled as we were given free reign to examine them as we wished, and we think this was the first time the blades have been properly examined by an armourer since being given to the castle. Paul had some great insight into identifiyng the makers of the blades and their origins so we ended up sorting them all out by their marks and distinguishing factors which led to a groundbreaking discovery, a true hair raising moment it was! I can't reveal much as further investigation is required, but I will certainly be keeping an eye out on this story in the years to come ;) Sadly I never took any pictures of the blades, but will try and get a copy of Pauls sometime. Needless to say, on the drive back to Edinburgh we were completely buzzing on our find and there was plenty of interesting debate :)

Overall, I had a fantastic experience working with Paul, and learning as much as I could from his well of knowledge. I feel very humbled by having the chance to do it, and the visit to Inverary Castle still has me buzzing :)

Thanks for reading!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too, you certainly deserve it.

Thats the great thing about being a student,-you get to play with the exibits.

(I am just about to start my very humble adventures as an experimental archaeologist. Thats the nice thing about archaeology, every day is an adventure.)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
That looks like a brilliant experience, I'm glad you got the chance Hamish and hopefully you will be successful with the apprenticeship.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You lucky, lucky man. Good for you.:)

I'm a firm believer in the old adage that you make your own luck; funny how the harder you work and the more you try, the luckier you get, eh?

You always seem to put yourself in interesting situations, and I reckon you'd be great in that occupation; well done mate :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm a firm believer in the old adage that you make your own luck; funny how the harder you work and the more you try, the luckier you get, eh?

You always seem to put yourself in interesting situations, and I reckon you'd be great in that occupation; well done mate :)

^This

You've worked hard at your skills and lived your passions. This job seems a great fit for both and not only do I think it would be good for you, I think you would be an asset for the job. Passion, commitment and skill are rare these days and you have them. I hope the employer sensed what we all know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE