M73 Prismatic Compass

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
For me, its the most important bits of kit that get priority when to comes to expenditure. All the essentials if you like. Compass, boots, knife etc. :)

I never had an issue with air bubbles as all my compasses have been induction dampened. I do see the pride of ownership thing though. Just never applied it to compasses before but I suppose it should apply there as equally as any other bit of gear.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ah fair enough. :) Not much weight difference between the all brass and standard black though. Shame really :) Saying that, i could easily make a brass case with the lathe and milling machine. Are the cases easily removeable do you know?

My M73 has an alloy case with brass fittings. YMMV

Ive had a couple of US issue Lenstatics a Stocker and Yale and a Cammenga. From a it's a compass use ability perspective they are fine..

A M73 is a much better quality compass than a Cammenga in terms of materials used etc... Is it any more accurate? In real world terms probably not..

It is a very very nice bit of kit to use..

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yep the compass housing is removable from the case. But the case has the prismatic prism and lid hinge attached.

Not sure if the case from an older Mk III would fit. But you have to be careful with the older compasses as they used quite a bit of Radium in them.....

HTH

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My M73 has an alloy case with brass fittings. YMMV

Ive had a couple of US issue Lenstatics a Stocker and Yale and a Cammenga. From a it's a compass use ability perspective they are fine..

A M73 is a much better quality compass than a Cammenga in terms of materials used etc... Is it any more accurate? In real world terms probably not..

It is a very very nice bit of kit to use..

Yeah, one of mine is actually S&Y. Cammenga is the one that gets all the press time so it's the one I referenced. TBH I don't know if S&Y are even still made. I cain't find a websie for them although I'm getting a lot of hits to surplus sited for them.

udamiano

On a new journey
Here a picture of my one and can just say "worth every penny"

IMG_1373.jpg

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I should be able to manage it, i worked in precision engineering for a couple of years before i started making knives so its not out of reach. :) No rush to do it though so i can take my time.

Yep the compass housing is removable from the case. But the case has the prismatic prism and lid hinge attached.

Not sure if the case from an older Mk III would fit. But you have to be careful with the older compasses as they used quite a bit of Radium in them.....

HTH

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Johnboy! How did I miss these?:lmao: I've been watching the bay for one for months now and taking in various threads on BCUK about what to look for when purchasing etc. I've been reluctant to pay higher prices for an old reconditioned one or buy a cheaper older one only to find that nobody will touch them due to the radiation, despite wanting one with a bit of history.

I've read that the repair costs and replacement of the radium elements can be more than a hundred quid in some cases, so the one Johnboy has linked to is a bargain in comparison. Here's a couple of links to previous BCUK posts on the matter.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50195
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1250

And another to a repairer of compasses:
http://www.trademarklondon.com/Compass-Repairs/index.html

Thanks again for the heads-up Johnboy. :You_Rock_

i got myself a reconditioned 1940 issue MkIII from Trademark London Paul's a great chap to deal with very helpful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE