M65 Field Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
The label does not say M65. The label usually says COAT COLD WEATHER 50 Nylon/50 Cotton. There is usually a NSN or NATO number plus a DLA number which is Defense Logistics Agency plus name of contractor plus user instructions on label. Older Vietnam era olive green ones usually have a DPSC DEFENSE PERSONNEL SUPPORT CENTER number and sometimes the user instructions are sewn inside at the bottom of the coat. If you run across the older green jackets there are variations amongst them as I think the Air Force had a slightly different version at one time. Coat is very hard wearing and well worth the search for. Watch out for liars...once had a salesman try and sell me one saying that this is an authentic combat jacket as used by the Yanks and very hard to come by in the pawnshops...but there were no pawnshops around and inside the jacket label at the bottom had HONG KONG on it. I was polite and left!!! Check out flea markets and secondhand clothing and army surplus stores..once you see a few real ones you will know what you are looking for and good luck!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Some good tips there and anyone after a genuine M65 should also remember that they now only come in Woodland.

However as pointed out else where the three manufactures, Alpha, Propper and a company called Golden Rod Instrusties who were/are defence contractors still make them in gren to Mil spec - interestingly on a visit to Alphas site I was surprise to see that even there stuff is now labelled as imported so i guess like so many other things they are now made in china or somewhere else too. :banghead:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Oh and another thing the Mil spec (green) jackets now have something like DSA in them - but I cant remember what that means.

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
I've got an old Woodland one in 100% cotton, with a synthetic fur liner, is this a fake or just what they had on the older models? It must be a good 20 year old, one of my father's friends gave it to me, he used it for paintballing when he was young. It's either made by Alpha or a copy with the same labelling.

I found it was a bit restricting though, when I lift my arms it lifts the hole shoulders of the jacket, just like dress suits with padded shoulders (see what I mean?). Did anybody else have that problem? Would it just be the cut of that one that's a bit strange (if it's a fake)? Otherwise should I take a larger/smaller size? (length seems alright). Because I'm interested in buying one in the 65/35 mix in Olive (rather than 100% cotton in woodland camo), since they seem to have a good reputation. My usual surplus have them reasonnably cheap, but they're all import versions. Would it really be a problem quality wise? (since anyway even the genuine ones are made in asia, and most good quality clothing too anyway....)

I found a quite good feature yesterday trying it one (hadn't touched it for a while), there's a little flap at the wrist that's fixed inside with velcro, undo the velcro, fold the flap out, and it protects your hands. Not much use for civilians but gives a nice extra camouflage.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Not sure douglas Alpha make a pile lined version which is cotton with the distressed look - but i dont know if these were ever issued to the troops.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
those worried about sizing and design.....

take this thought.

which is more fashionable?
M65 jacket or standard UK DPM?

which is more comfortable?

which has the best features?

the main point I'm making is that in general, the US army tends to make good quality, well designed kit that is comfortable!

the UK (apart from elite kit) on the whole tends to opt for kit that is not so comfy but is as tough as old boots!

so...Douglas

that strange feeling that you are wearing a dress jacket, with padded shoulders? you aren't too far wrong!(do check your sizing though!)

you will notice the back of the jacket has blousing(added sections) behind the shoulders, this is for comfort! the equivelent UK jacket has not!

those "storm cuffs" (little triangles at the end of the cuffs) are for comfort, i know of no other jacket that has them!

the lower pockets of the M65 jacket, are they designed to carry kit? i suggest they are to keep your hands warm or "American Gloves".

so in essence:
fashion, comfort, practical, and part of a uniform as well!

unlike most other army jackets! i think you'll agree! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE