M65 Field Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I bought an M65 jacket for bushcraft when it's a bit colder, but now I'm starting to doubt it's waterproofness and other things. It has some good pockets and a liner which is pretty warm.
Mine is the one with 65% polyester and 35% cotton.

Is this a good or bad jacket????? Is it waterproof or windproof or what it is? :wink: :biggthump

:feedback:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Gary's the man into M65's he'll have some advice on it.....I think that there is mention of it elsewhere...have you done a search? I think that the general consensus is that it's not waterproof but dries quickly, for waterproof you would need to wear something over the top.....

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The best solution is to wear a poncho over the top. M65 and poncho - an excellent combo!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
M65 is an excellent jacket for bushcraft and the 65/45 poly/cotton mix is the best mix for the craft being hard wearing and fast drying (I use the same jacket myself)

I also have a 50 nylon/50 cotton jacket which is a heavier weight and perfect for cold weather although it does take longer to dry.

It isnt waterproof but being 65/45 it does dry very quickly (same as army lightweights) Waterproofing can be added with TX10 although I dont realyy bother as I generally either use a poncho or waterproof jacket over it in bad weather.

It is windproof and very tough when working in the woods.

Over all, when everything is taken into account, I think M65's are better than any other jacket for bushcraft and I for one wouldn't bother buying anything else.

Incidentially, a little snippet of info I picked up when ordering in my new batch of jackets for the trading post is that the US military no long has olive M65's there for no-one can sell them as Geniune. However the Manufactures who used to make them still make them and now class them as Mil spec.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Can I use the jacket with the liner to sleep outside on a summernight??
With a fire going by my side....

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
How cold does it get there in summer? I've certainly slept in less in summer here when I was younger! With a fire I think you'd be fine.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have an M65 and can't praise it highly enough. Lets face it the US army have had the same jacket for 30 odd years whereas we have had 58 pattern 65 pattern soldier 95 soldier 2000 etc etc

If it ain't broke...Don't fix it :super:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

This summer is not going to be very sunny in Denmark. Normally about 10 degrees (C) at night I think. (+/-) :roll: But if you slept in less Adi, I think it's gonna' be fine. :super: :wink: :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I've slept out in lower than that with a lesser jacket with a fire ... you'll be fine!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have to agree with the above it is a super jacket. :super:

It may not be waterproof but it really does dry fast going from wet through to bone dry in 20mins by just leaving hanging in the open on an over cast morning. (a recent unexpected test. Middle of the night, thirsty, half asleep when closing the bottle, in a HHammock. :shock: You get the picture)

Great pockets. It's tough as nails and at the price you can't go wrong.

James

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I also have an M65 jacket which I got many years ago and which I believe is an original issue one, it had the persons name, rank insignia + badges etc. Mine is in a medium, long fitting, and came minus the liner. Does anyone know if the liners for it are still made in this size and where to get them? I’ve tried all the likely places, Silvermans etc.

ranger

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ranger - I stock the jackets and liners at Bearclaw but only sell them as a complete set - if your after just the liner you might try some of the american sites such as Omaha GI JUNGLE their pretty good. Beware of S'MAN's btw.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Thanks, I'll do a bit more searching it'd be nice to get the liner, just never been able to find the size. Maybe the chap that originally had it was unique to the U.S Army, who knows!

ranger

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I have two of the M65s. I normally wear a large sized coat, but the medium field jacket fits me very well without the liner, so I go to it during mild weather. I also have a large jacket with the liner and it gets worn during colder weather and it's large enough to layer clothing underneath. Both of my M65s have been water resistent from the outset and are both US military issue jackets. However, I don't trust the jacket to keep me dry and get the poncho out before much precip hits the ground.

The liners are readily available here in the States if you have trouble finding them on your side of the big water.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Gary,

I need some help identifying a jacket: I picked it up in the Gulf last year from a US guy (swapped it for some UK kit). It doesn't say M65 in it anywhere but sounds a lot like what you've described above. It has a zip-away hood and the label says: 'Coat, Cold Weather, Field, Desert Camouflage Pattern', and the outershell is 50% coton, 50% nylon. I haven't used it much yet but it looks and feels like a quality garment. Is it an M65? If it is, I'm gonna be a very happy boy! :-D

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Mike, here's the label from one of my jackets. Hope it helps.

199195.jpg

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Coat cold weather is the correct terminology and there should be a Height and chest size guide, nato and stock no, with the printed idiots guide below this.

Thats about it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I to have owned M65 jackets:

1 "Tigerstripe" no doubt a fake! seemed soft but strong and faded quite quickly.

1 Genuine Olive green jacket, tougher more weather resistant!

i wore mine day in day out for years and it served me well,
the only down side being the rather poor hood which seems to be a bit of an after thought in the design, and the pockets aren't that big.

i did a little sewing and added an inside pocket and a map pocket behind the front zip, also a new hood(which was far better more like an SAS smock hood)

i find using proofing helps water repellence but you could never call it water proof! a really heavy rain storm and you will get wet! :umbrella:

also if you've ever wondered what the strange buttons, button holes, and the somewhat lost popper (inside the zip flap chest hight!) are for,

take a look at the arctic jacket of the same era, (M1951 parka) the huge fur lined hood is designed to fix to the M65 jacket in cold conditions!!
if you can get hold of the hood (i got one for £10)the label describes how to fit it to each jacket!

one way of deserning a genuine or fake! :!:
the popper inside the zip flap (at chest height) is identical to the poppers used in the US Army "AlICE" webbing (i.e. poppers used on the side of the ammo pouch)!

be carefull when using the liner, (identical construction as the poncho liner) it makes the jacket warm which makes you forget about the layer system :doh: , if you use it, of course you can use the liner loose as a layer!
Alpha industries make a liner for the M65 jacket with pockets! :35:

everything considered, a well made, comfortable, and functional jacket, quite suitable for Bushcraft!

they are one of the better bits of army surplus going!
but make sure it's genuine! :cop:
:biggthump

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
I tried one on at surplus and adventure and found the sizeing to be very strange. Although The Jacket was a large and looked really big it came out quite small.
Also the arms were really baggy and look/felt like they would get in the way.

Maybe it's just me :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE