M65 combat jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
some great m65 jackets going on ebay
these make a great bushcraft jacket warm with the option of getting a liner aswell
hard wearing love the fit i have a camo one coming soon
does anyone else here use this type of jacket and what do you think of them
would love to know
cheers from walker

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I'm a fan of my M65. it's warm, has oodles of pocket space, and sheds rain fairly well for somthing that isn't waterproofed. oh, and it was free from my uncle, who got a couple from when he worked at a US base.
on the downside it is fairly heavy, bulky, and my one (a US woodland cammo model) makes me look a bit like a terrorist if I wear it on an every day basis.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I used the M65 for 2 decades as part of my uniform in the US Army. I liked it fine but it is rather heavy to carry in a pack. We mostly used the M65 in garrison, day to day but not so much when in the field, because of the weight and bulk being unmanageable. When I was not in uniform my prefered jacket was a Sierra Designs 60/40 parka, I loved the design and weight of it. I would put that Scotchguard on it from time to time to keep it repellent. I actually still have the 60/40. Seldom used these days as replaced with a Gore-Tex. I also have a few M65's but they are too small for me these days, I eat more and excercise less :)

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've had several when I was working as a photojournalist, they were kind of de rigueur uniform in Paris. The first one was an Alpha Industries blue one with liner... I wore it for years... I eventually had to throw it out as I left it in the garage and mice made a nest in the pocket.
Then I got a cheap copy but didn't like it at all as it was just that..cheap. I tried on a Propper version in a shop but as all these jackets seem to be over size the large just swamped me, and they were out of mediums,. The quality was superb though. I now have an olive green Alpha with the genuine Alpha liner. I really rate this brand as it is heavier cotton, and a nicer quality. I belive both Alpha and Propper make gear for the US military.
I currently use the green Alpha as my daily jacket in the colder months. I really like these jackets.
cheers
Gareth

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
thanks guys for the feed back
mines coming from the states from a guy selling his own there
ive had a couple when i was younger but havent realy thought about them for years
but after seeing one at a mates brought back old memories so the purchase was made
i remmember them being in very good condition when i passed them on to other people after i
had finnished with them at work
carnt wait now to get back into one
cheers again walker

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I used the M65 for 2 decades as part of my uniform in the US Army. I liked it fine but it is rather heavy to carry in a pack. We mostly used the M65 in garrison, day to day but not so much when in the field, because of the weight and bulk being unmanageable. When I was not in uniform my prefered jacket was a Sierra Designs 60/40 parka, I loved the design and weight of it. I would put that Scotchguard on it from time to time to keep it repellent. I actually still have the 60/40. Seldom used these days as replaced with a Gore-Tex.

Looks like they're making them again:

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-388-exclusive-6040-short-parka.aspx?icid=hp-feb-SD-ShortParka

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA

Thanks for the information. That is close to the original 60/40 but missing one breast pocket and as stated, short length. The original ones were longer, like a Norrona Recon, well below the waist. They actually made some to the original specs about 5 years ago and they mostly ended up at Sierra Trading Post, heavily discounted. With all the waterproof/breathable options around these days, not a lot of people wanting to spend $160 on a windbreaker. I would if they'd make it to the original design....but I am a sucker for any good jacket :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
They are great jackets. Very comfortable and roomy. Plus points inc, Collar is great, cuffs are great, top pockets great. Downer is stow away hood is pretty useless and lower pockets are a bit small. Only have a copy now but I don't use for bushcraft related stuff as much prefer my SAS smock..

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Seen on the other thread you hate them, fair do's, I love mine.

It's proofed with a spray and beads water off nicely. It's tough as hell, and fits me just right (I have a 50 inch chest so not much does)

Also, last year, kept me warm just fine in -16°C with the liner and optional cold weather hood.

All in, I'm the other side of the coin, I'd recommend them to anyone. They got to be a classic for a reason IMHO :)

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I've a cheap one in black that I wear as my day-to-day coat.

I do like it, but the cuff fastenings were originally very poor and almost all of the the buttons needed re-stitching shortly after buying it.

The liner is useful in winter, but a bit sweaty and not *that* warm when very cold, although I do add a fibre-pile 'waistcoat' (a lining that I salvaged from an old padded shirt) between the liner and the outer for sub-zero temperatures which makes for a warm jacket, although my arms can still be a bit cold.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I've a cheap one in black that I wear as my day-to-day coat.

I do like it, but the cuff fastenings were originally very poor and almost all of the the buttons needed re-stitching shortly after buying it.

The liner is useful in winter, but a bit sweaty and not *that* warm when very cold, although I do add a fibre-pile 'waistcoat' (a lining that I salvaged from an old padded shirt) between the liner and the outer for sub-zero temperatures which makes for a warm jacket, although my arms can still be a bit cold.

Is it a genuine Alpha make? It's just I have never had a button issue like described, and I know the repro's (Mil-Tec etc) always have the arm's on the liner cut too short, so your wrists get cold!

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
No, mine is a cheap replica that was about 35quid.

The liner doesn't have elastic on the cuffs either, so I have to tuck my gloves inside carefully.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
No, mine is a cheap replica that was about 35quid.

The liner doesn't have elastic on the cuffs either, so I have to tuck my gloves inside carefully.

Sounds like it's one of those Mil tec ones. They are, frankly, garbage. A real 3/10 effort.

Usually punted on the bay of fakery getting passed off as genuine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE