Luxe Mini Peak II - New new Bushcraft Tipi / Hex3 / Shangri La replacement??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
I think it would be ok, it was really stable once up. You'd get quite a lot of wind in through the sides though. All the stress points were bungee's so as long as you didn't peg it out really tight you'd probably be fine. We'll see what happens with regards to the low hydro head, that could be a problem in high winds.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think the main thing to watch for with a low hydrostatic head fabric is that you don't kneel on it on wet ground. As long as you keep weight distributed over a good area you should be fine.

4000mm head translates to about five or six psi, so if your knee has an area of say ten square inches then at most you can only put about sixty pounds on it before you exceed the fabric's hydrostatic head specification. If you kneel on a sleep mat or something the weight is spread over a larger area which reduces the pressure.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
A couple for the weight junkies

IMG00191-20120428-1849.jpg

IMG00192-20120428-1849.jpg

Pretty accurate... I think! :)

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I think this would work a lot better with a walking pole, as you mention. Once you find that sweet spot with the pole length, I'd imagine the sides would be more taut and your nest would be a better fit. As for the stitching, is there any seam sealing tape? If not, I'd be very tempted to get some silicon seam sealer and dilute it with some white spirits to paint into the stitching.

Podcast Bob

Feedback always interesting to read. My experience of using a couple of walking pole to support the peak with the handle section against the material, meant that the inner clipped in and sat correctly first time. Also once I was inside the inner nest and it settled 'down' there was good ventilation all round and during the dreadful weather at Xmas so I had no leakage concerns.

I agree about the pressure at the peak when using a narrow tip such as shown here, maybe some kind of barrier needs to be adapted to add peace of mind, just like the base of the pole to stop it sinking in soft ground.

The HH comments are interesting as both the skin and the inner are greater than the SL3, and I don't read the same concerns anywhere about that?

I kneel on the nest when clipping the corners in which saves soggy knees. The card vent supports do the job, although I quite like the system used by the 'lightwave' company of short tubes of Ali inside Velcro pouches. Hard the describe verbally.

Anyway, this feedback is all good and when the new stock arrives we also have adjustable poles too which will be around the £20 mark.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

I am so glad that this has come round again. When I first saw this in 2008 it was a prototype and though I really like the idea I was sceptical about the finish product. I am actually astounded that Bob has picked these up! Really push my confidence level up about 5 notches.

Probably gonna sell my Shangari-La now and get one of these bad boys. Even if the inner is a not as good as hoped the fly for £75 with a bivi is a great deal.

Really interested in hearing the full write up from lonefish. Let us know!!

Last edited:

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Well Big Camp has been and gone so time to post the results.

Overall I'm more than happy.

I clipped the nest in place before pegging out the guy lines, which meant it actually fit well. I cut a small amount off the poles which I might not have needed to do had I thought about clipping the nest in place before guying before I cut them! My pole length is now 135 cm.

The seams held up well enough against the end of the pole, no obvious stretching and no water ingress.

The nest did seem to sit very close to the fly, actually touching it in places. This did mean a small amount of water droplets formed on the nest mesh. None of it made it through the mesh and it might have been due to condensation. The amounts were so small as to dismiss them.

The wind was up but not very strong, moderate in places with strong gusts. Stronger than normal though. This was my biggest concern as it pushed the whole of one panel of the fly against the nest, but given my comments above about the amount of water ingress I don't think it was actually a problem.

The nest worked well, great to be able to sit off the ground to get changed etc. Space wasn't an issue although you do have to work out how best to pull on your trousers! Overall it was great for one, plenty of room for kit. I didn't do any cooking or spend any significant periods of time awake in it though. I'm just about 6 foot and had no problems with the length. No obvious drafts.

The cardboard vent openers did the job, just a bit bent.

It was very cold for UK and May. Friday night I slept on a 3/4 length thermarest with a 3 season bag. By Saturday I'd added a closed cell foam mat and a second bag (just because I could, we had spare kit knocking about) and had two really restful nights sleep. Woke up to frost on the outside of the tent several mornings.

Will become my first choice probably with a gortex bivvy bag instead of the nest for hill walking and field camping.

Any questions just ask! :)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Got mine from Honkers yesterday without getting spanked by customs. Not put it up yet but it is the current one not the lighter green flysheet shown on the photos. Got 4 Ti pegs and 2 glow in the dark 'biners too :) It's a "covert" purchase so may not be able to put it up for a while!

Now, pole(s) or give Bob some money for a walking pole extender? If anyone knows where to get (cheap) 145-150cm tall walking poles let me know please!

Podcast Bob

Just finished the first video in the series ....

[video=youtube;AMVUYMSNpVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMVUYMSNpVs[/video]

I've also got a few of those Twin Peaks in Camo. I was saving them for the Bushcraft Show, but if anyone wants one call me .....

Last edited:

Podcast Bob

Cheers for that Andy, I'm just editing 2 more on the Mega Horn and Lightwave which I think everyone will be keen to se.

I've just updated the Mini peak Video, as I forgot to put on my logo. Doh!!

[video=youtube;rjR4XOrZQrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjR4XOrZQrk[/video]

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Quick question re the nest - is the mesh suitable for the dreaded midges, or does it just keep out the bigger beggars?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE