Luxe Mini Peak II - New new Bushcraft Tipi / Hex3 / Shangri La replacement??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Found this about a year ago and have been keeping an eye one them. Looks like they now got to a place where the product is more "ready".

Anyway have a look for yourselves. It a bargain at just under £100 plus shipping. (I haven't checked the duty.)

Features:
  • Versatile lightweight pyramid style tent with twin entrances​
  • Uses a trekking pole (not included) or similar to pitch (helps to reduce total carry weight)​
  • Single person full mesh inner tent with waterproof floor included​
  • Roll top stuff sack​
  • 75D Rip Stop Polyester fly with 1500mm waterhead and factory seam sealed​
  • Nylon taffeta floor with 4000mm waterhead and factory seam sealed​
  • Reflective guy ropes, attachments and zipper pulls​
  • Large vestibule for storage​
Specifications:
  • Sleeps: 1 - 2​
  • Entrances: 2​
  • Dimensions: 250cm L x 210cm W​
  • Mesh inner dimensions: 225cm L x 85cm​
  • Height: 137 - 140cm​
  • Weight: 1.50kg​
  • Packed dimensions: 35cm L x 14cm Diameter​
Fly Material: 75D Rip Stop Polyester PU coated
Floor Material: Nylon Taffeta
Inner Material: Breathable Polyester with No-See-Um Bug mesh inner
Fly Waterhead rating: 1500mm
Floor Waterhead rating: 4000mm
Poles: Uses a trekking stick or pole (not included)
Colours: Green or Orange, with Navy Blue Floor​

luxe_mini_peak_ii_2_600.jpg

http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/d653_luxe_outdoor.html

Happy new year y'all...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too :D
Very neat indeed, and light for it's size :D
Is the inner mesh anti midgie or just anti mozzie, though ?

I'll pass the link onto HWMBLT :cool:

cheers,
M

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I really like the design of this but the hydrostatic head figures seem really low. My Vaude Hogan has 5000mm fly and 10,000mm groundsheet compared to 1500 and 4000 for this. It would concern me that the groundsheet was marginally less waterproof than the fly on my other tents.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Good points raised here. Hadn't thought about the hydrostatic capacity. Design looks good thought. Maybe we can get someone like DD to build some! :)

I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if anything further develops.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I've been looking at this with a keen eye but a little put off by the HH figures.

Worth noting that Podcast Bob is selling them on his website www.backpackinglight.co.uk and has a good review of them, having used one on a Welsh hillside in December, in what was the worst weather he's ever been out in- no concerns with water ingress reported!

If it really is as waterproof as Bob says, I'll be selling my terra nova Laser and golite den2 !

ATB,

KP

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Yer a bad man... Very tempting, but knowing my luck I'd get hit with the import tax, and I don't mind keeping uk business going- ill probably order from Bob, just need to decide if it's worth selling the TN Laser?

KP

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I always thought the HH wasn't such an issue with a tipi shape as it sheds water quicker than a normal shaped tent. I have a Vango Peace 500 for family camping and it's polycotton with a 1500 HH. So far it's stood up to some pretty adverse weather. From what I recall about the Argos tipis it was the joining of the window to the fabric and people not being used to a single skin tent that let them down. Could well be wrong though. For the price these look alright in my opinion. Bit on the small side though.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
Not yet, still in the box! Looks like nice weather so I'll probably put it up in the garden this afternoon. Next weekend I'll be sleeping in it Friday, Saturday and Sunday so should be a decent test, especially if the rain keeps on coming. :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Not yet, still in the box! Looks like nice weather so I'll probably put it up in the garden this afternoon. Next weekend I'll be sleeping in it Friday, Saturday and Sunday so should be a decent test, especially if the rain keeps on coming. :)

Keep us updated matey, I've succumbed to the Chinese one. (Hope I don't get a new one ripped!)

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
So I took the hint and got out in the garden!

First impressions aren't bad although there are some things to be aware of.

Everything (apart from the pole which isn't supplied' came in a nice neat box

IMG00163-20120428-0919.jpg

Some minor transport damage to the box probably from shipping from china but the contents were in tip top condition.

Once out of the packaging the tent came in its own stuff sack, mug for scale.

IMG00164-20120428-0919.jpg

Everything comes nicely wrapped with a blue strap keeping everything together.

IMG00166-20120428-0920.jpg

Contents including fly sheet, inner nest and peg bag.

IMG00167-20120428-0921.jpg

It was quite windy put I had no problem pegging out, just started at one corner and worked my way round. Took a very short time, 1 min max.

IMG00168-20120428-0924.jpg

I bought some spare tent poles from an online shop, five fibreglass poles for £13 including postage. Went for 9.5 mm diameter, good for weight although with hindsight I might have gone thicker. Adjustable walking poles would work well.

IMG00169-20120428-0925.jpg

Once the mid points were pegged out everything became a lot more stable.

First thing I'm worried about is the stitching at the top where the pole goes.

IMG00171-20120428-0928.jpg

However I'm convinced my pole lengths are slightly too long and will be cutting them down. This is where adjustable walking poles would really come into their own.

The reason why I'm convinced:

IMG00172-20120428-0928.jpg

Bendy pole!

Not the best photo but shows the vent structure at the top, this is a well ventilated tent!

IMG00173-20120428-0929.jpg

Next thing to worry about, but easily fixed. The 'cardboard' used to prop open the vents came bent and was a bit fiddly to get in place / not really strong enough to resist bending.

IMG00174-20120428-0930.jpg

The nest uses a bungee with a hook to hook into an eye towards the top of the tent.

IMG00175-20120428-0932.jpg

The corners of the nest then clip into plastic fittings on the pegging points. This was a pain and involved laying down on the floor to get into the corners, not good in wet conditions.

IMG00176-20120428-0933.jpg

The nest simply didn't fit but I suspect that was down to pole length stretching the fly sheet too much, I'll try cutting the poles down by an inch or so for next weekend.

IMG00177-20120428-0935.jpg

By this time pole bend was a real issue, but again probably down to pole length rather than tent design. If you're thinking of buying / making your own then length must be considered / tested.

IMG00178-20120428-0935.jpg

Nest is accessible via two zips.

IMG00180-20120428-0935.jpg

Its also really close to the sides of the tent and I worry about contact / water ingress. To be fair I'll probably ditch it and by a cheap lightweight section of fabric to protect my mat from the wet. Only drawback is the loss of protection from our biting friends. Top of the nest.

IMG00181-20120428-0936.jpg

I liked the pegs, very light very strong although they may be a little short for really wet / soft ground. It has been raining pretty hard though and they worked fine.

IMG00182-20120428-0950.jpg

More to come after next weekend when I'll get a chance to actually sleep in and use it over an extended period. Hopefully shortening the poles will fix the issues.

Only real concern is the quality of the stitching which isn't great and the usability of the nest. As a shelter on its own I think the fly looks and performs well.

I'll update soon as I can.

Cheers

Rich

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Cheers Bud (it wasn't a hint, I was just surprised you'd managed to resist playing!).

I've had a look around and found most reviews on this are from the lightweight forums in 2009/2010 all of which seem favourable but then they seem to dry up after that. None have mentioned stitching as a concern but I can see what you mean. A few of the reviews advocated ditching the mossie nest (cutting it off) and using it as a groundsheet only, whilst some mentioned that the netting is too large for midges. A 6 footer mentioned that his head and feet were pushing up the netting, even though there were a few inches either end remaining when he was lying down. I'm only 5'9", so I'll be ok I hope.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37115

I'll be using mine with a cheap walking pole and extender. Aldi have some in for a fiver at the mo.

Thanks for Part 1 of the review, looking forward to Part 2 "The testing"!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE