Luxe Mini Peak II - New new Bushcraft Tipi / Hex3 / Shangri La replacement??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Think, I've solved my pole problem. I have a stalking rifle rest (think 2 or 3 in my case, extra long walking poles which have 3 sections and extend to 1.8m) and it takes 30 secs to remove one of the poles from the set and it collapses short enough to use as a walking pole and tent pole. Result. Cheap ones can be had for £10. (for two sticks)

Podcast Bob

I've just taken one out of the bag to answer this correctly and I would say it isn't midge proof.

The mesh looks Mozzie proof, but not midge sadly.

However there might be an answer to use the Nikwax Skitostop Fabric Insect Repellent. You spray it onto any material once every 6 months and it helps keep the little buggers out.

It isn't a plasticizer, which means unlike DEET, it won't melt artificial fabrics. I've used it for a while especially when heading to Scotland for Midges and Ticks. So far so good!

This chap makes custom made inner tents for people, so if it was important it might be worth the investment. Tell him I sent you ;-)

Podcast Bob

And now the one you've all been waiting for ... The Mega Horn.

BTW I'm bringing some of these to the Bushcraft Show in June, so you can see one in the flesh.

[video=youtube;Y-rIltYJqlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rIltYJqlg[/video]

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Update. Warning!!! photos of some unavoidable doggie shots!

So...I've managed to put the flysheet up briefly for 2 mins in a quite fierce wind with only the 4 main pegging points a few days ago and now today in the sun and a light breeze.

I'm impressed. The pegs as covered before? Yep, nice quality and light but just too short. They are 5.5" long but due to their design, only grip for 4.5" of that and in turn of that .5" is the point. They need changing for longer ones. Such a shame they aren't manufactured 2" longer- they then would be very good..

IMAG0056.jpg

You may remember my pole dilemma? Sorted...I use my £5 (single) walking pole with a custom crafted purpose designed extension. Okay, a bit of wood out of the shed and chopped down with a hatchet. It works very well.

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg
[

I had no problems putting in the inner. I'm 5'9" and have a 47" chest. It is both wide enough and long enough, with perhaps 8" space at the bottom of my feet. I had no concerns about the flysheet touching the inner, the nearest it got was about 3" away.

IMAG0060.jpg

Whilst we're looking at the mesh, I reckon it may just be midge proof. It's nearly (not quite) as fine as my midge head net.

IMAG0066.jpg

Doggie shot!

IMAG0067.jpg

Now that I've introduced the doggie, I'll show the space on the inside of the tent. Dog and a pair of size 10s for size! BTW the dog and shoes are in the middle of the "spare" space. You can easily fit a Cyclops/Crusader ruck in lengthways across the width.

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

The attention to detail seems fine, not perfect a few threads etc but nothing bad. I think it may need seam sealing, time will tell. All of the stitching on tension points is like this.

IMAG0068.jpg

Overall, I am impressed. Mr Luxe...change the flippin pegs would you, I've now got to buy some more!

Oh BTW, the freebies I got with my fleabay delivery. 4 x Ti pegs and glow in the dark 'biners!

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

Last edited:

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
I have had an older orange version of this for nearly two years, bought from the man in HK via ebay, I have also had some of his Ti stuff as well. As soon as the BPL posts went on here, the man in HK withdrew his mini peaks from sale on the bay. He has just put them back on but not for sale to uk! He will sell any of his other products to uk, just no cheap mini peaks. You wouldn't be able to shed any light on that would you Bob?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I have had an older orange version of this for nearly two years, bought from the man in HK via ebay, I have also had some of his Ti stuff as well. As soon as the BPL posts went on here, the man in HK withdrew his mini peaks from sale on the bay. He has just put them back on but not for sale to uk! He will sell any of his other products to uk, just no cheap mini peaks. You wouldn't be able to shed any light on that would you Bob?

That eBay link was to the manufacturer, so Bob has probably had a word. Nothing against that as Bob has to make a living too. The link wasn't live when I purchased mine BTW. The eBay "ask the seller a question" link is very useful ;)

Pole, peg and midge update

Having now used my Mini Peak, I can confirm that the net kept out the odd sporadic southern softy midge encountered in the south. Whether that would extend to the hard nosed McMidge attacking en-masse I have no idea.
Poles. If anyone has or can get the poles from the Polish Lavvu (Zeltbahn) they fit a treat! The poles come in 2 bags each containing 3 sections. The combined weight of the bags and poles is 325g. Each bag measures approx 10" x 1.5" x 1.5 (25cm x 4cm x 4cm) or in English...not very bulky or heavy!

I replaced them with 7" Highlander pegs of the same design. Cheaper than chips (why are chips so expensive?) and they do the job much better. They weigh about a box of Swan Vestas more (Forgot to weigh them :eek:)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Can anyone tell me the optimum height for one of these please? I am thinking i could modify some of the poles for a decathlon tarp in order to get a good collapsable pole, but obviously need the best height.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
140cm mate.

Depending on terrain you can always sink it a bit further but building it higher is harder!

My Lavvu poles are 140cm tall also, but Luxe says anything between 137-140cm.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
140cm mate.

Depending on terrain you can always sink it a bit further but building it higher is harder!

My Lavvu poles are 140cm tall also, but Luxe says anything between 137-140cm.

Thanks for that, I can get cracking on making some poles now just got to wait for it to arrive (are you having problems with bank holidays bob?)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE