Lundhags Professional Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I find myself in need of a new pair of boots .I have been looking at Lundhags Professional and was wondering if any one uses these boots or any other Lundhags boot, or if any one has any advice on good/bad points about them ?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to own a pair of Lundhags years ago. they were the military high leg boot adapted for Nordic Skiing. I was really happy with them. They were a good, comfortable and strong pair of boots which would have lasted me a long time if some GYPO hadn't nicked them!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the Lundhag Pro Highs, very nice boot and my no.1 choice for foul weather trips.

I've heard some folk mention that the sizes can be snug, for me there probably half a size too big. A thin liner sock and a Woolpower 400g or 600g winter sock is just about right. I got mine from Tamarack a couple of years ago but I don;t know who stocks them now

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I've a couple of pairs ('Forester' which is an older model like 'Scout' and also a winter pair called Siberia).
I like my Forester a lot and rate them highly. This is an unlined 'shell' type boot which is what Lundhags started out making.
I was fortunate enough to try on various models and sizes at their factory and although like yourself I fancied the Professional model I found them uncomfortable in comparison with the ones I ended up with. I'd also calculated my size as being 46 using their online guide which a helpful assistant at the store confirmed with their own measuring equipment, but my Forester are 47 and the Siberia (thinsulate lined) are 48! To try on I used a thin Smartwool liner sock with a 400g Ullfrotte over that.
So there's a warning for you...
The construction of the boot - especially the boxy toe area allows for a great deal of flexibility in regard to socks. I can wear mine with either one thin pair on a rainy summer day (not uncommon here!) or 3 pairs in Winter (I've found the Forester OK at -15C) although the assistant stressed that they didn't actually class most of their boots as specific winter boots.
I'd previously worn Lowa Mountain GTX which served me well but were very heavy in comparison, and I once had the misfortune of getting the goretex liner wet which took forever to dry out. Not so with the Lundhags which is one of their great strengths. They are pricey but with resoling can last for many years.
I'd advise buying only if you can try a pair on. They should feel comfortable from the first and have plenty of room at the toe. Take out the liner and stand on it to see how much extra you have. Go for an unlined/shell model - personally I think I'd still go for the Scout model or have the older 'Alaska' model custom made for an extra £30 or so.
Actually if I had that much money sloshing around I'd buy the Jörn Vandrer-Sko M96 which is constructed along the same lines.
I see a Lundhags thread pops up from time to time so one of these days I hope to post a more comprehensive review. Several other members on here have more experience of long term use than I do.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I have four pairs of lundhags, all different sizes! I have the Pro high which are quite a bit too big but great in the winter with two pairs of socks. I have the Pro mid which I bought off someone on here simply because the price was right, don't use them much but they don't cost anything to feed. And, I have two pairs of the basic Scout type, again bought because the price was right, in one case £15 on eblag!! They are great boots but I don't think I would ever pay £200-£300 for a pair.

If, by any chance you are a size 43 (nine?), I can sell you my lightly used Pro Mid's for £100 inc postage which is what I paid for them. I only mention this in case it helps you out, I am not actively trying to sell them. (but I will get brownie points for selling boots rather than buying more!)

Glyn.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
No worries mate. I echo what the other lads have said about trying them on, the sizing does seem vague and it seems to be more about 'fit' than 'size' if that makes sense? more so than any other brand of boot in my opinion. Glyn.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
Heij, there is a *working* size chart on the lundhags homepage:
http://lundhags.se/find-the-right-last-and-size/
The Lundhags Professional is build on the "Standard" lasts, they are a bit wider than the "opti" lasts. Scandinavians usually choose the opti-lasts, the rest of the world prefers the Optis, which are slightly tighter...

Hej Lundhags!

Did you by chance get mixed up in your reply to this thread with the info that Scandinavians choose the Optis whereas the rest of the world prefer...the Optis?
Also on the Lundhags site the two types of last are named Opti and Normal - not Standard.
I live over here (Sweden). Can I have a job!?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not to put a damper on this thread, they are a great boot and i own a pair but I find them uncomfortable in warm to hot weather. More of my winter boot than anything else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE