Lucky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
I was on a bus today when some people discovered a 24h ration pack and started throwing it around.
I picked a few water purifying tablets (Aquatabs) and some "Beverage whitener" from the floor.

What is Beverage whitener and does anyone have any suggestions for things I could put in my survival kit? Apart from obvious stuff like a knife, tinder, etc...

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
a button compass, snare wire, plasters, wire saw... look up the pre made ones or look for lofty wisemans SAS survival book its great.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
survival kits are a tricky one.
there is a good book on the matter,
"Build the perfect survival kit"
By John McCann.
It's a little americocentric, but a great book nonetheless.
A good kit will focus on the important stuff, the things that will kill you fastest.
You want shelter from the elements, means of creating fire, and a means of collecting/purifying water.
Signalling is a good one too. Whistle/heliograph is useful.
Food isn't even in the top 10.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I think the first question to ask yourself is " For what enviroment" eg fish hooks would probably be fairly useless in a dessert, in other situations they could be easily fashioned from safety pins, which have more other uses.

Presuming that you'll include some way to make fire ,my top tip is to pack any airgap spaces left with polymorph
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Material-Guide:-Polymorph-Plastic--a-thermal-/
With care and preactise you can probably even make fish hooks out of it ;)

S

scott mcmillan

only put stuff in your kit you can use. if you want to add more bits go out and learn how to use them now befor you need them in a emergancy .
alos its great fun to go out and try new things

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Try and imagine how you will spend your outdoor time, where your gonna be and what you would like to do. Make up some basic things that will make your time enjoyable.
A waterproof mobile phone could be the ultimate survival tool.

Mart.

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I consider one of the most important parts of my 'survival kit' a spare pay-as-you-go mobile phone (I use one of my old ones) in a waterproof bag (as Mart suggested) and a couple of pouches of water. I also keep a zip-lock bag with maya stick shavings & cotton wool, and also a scout firesteel. But by far the most important thing I could suggest is 2 days worth of any vital / daily medication if required.
I was party to a "alternative survival kit" workshop at the Wilderness Gathering, but unfortunately can't remember who ran it. This made me completely re-evaluate my 'survival kit'.
I used to carry a BCB survival tin, but I ended up taking it out of my daybag.
I have a 'howler' whistle, insect bite stick and a micro-torch on a lanyard which I keep around my neck on trips out.
Hope this helps.

Luke

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE