Lubrication!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Dunno what they use, but the traditional Japanese "choji" used for oiling Japanese swords, is 99% mineral oil and 1% clove oil ( added for fragrance). Perhaps thay have "borrowed" this idea from the Japanese and added a touch of clove oil to the mix?

Who knows?

For anyone who wants to make their own choji and doesnt want to pay the prices asked for the pukka japanese stuff, just go to your chemist, but a bottle of regular mineral oil and a small bottle of clove oil and mix in a 99:1 ratio. Note: the clove oil does -nothing - other than add franrance, so pure mineral oil is just as effective as a protectant.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Great Pebble said:
Not clove, but could be a fragrant oil of some sort.
I didn't know this and am surprised as I'd have thought clove oil to be moderately caustic.

Nick in Belfast

If used in pure form, it could possibly do more harm than good. But in a 99:1 mix with pure mineral oil, it's harmless. Anyway, this is the formula the Japanese have used on their swords for 1000's of years, and many of these blades survive today in superb condition. I'd call that a testimonial. :-D

Do google search for "choji oil" and see what it turns up.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Hello Nick- W-S told me it's called Slick but didn't know where it could be bought from.

I am still trying to work out a way of wording an internet search for Slick Lubricant..........rather than get the sack myself I'll leave you to work that one out :shock:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nod said:
I am still trying to work out a way of wording an internet search for Slick Lubricant..........rather than get the sack myself I'll leave you to work that one out :shock:

:-D Very wise lol I was looking for designs for a possibles pouch last week and innocently put "Leather Pouches" in google..............The rest as they say is history. Looked like an advert for "The Blue Oyster Club" :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE