Lowe Alpine Triple point ceramic fell apart :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What with the weather starting to get a wee bit wet and parky, I thought I would get my Lowe Alpine waterproof jacket out and check it was good condition for the coming Autumn and winter months. As I got it out of the wardrobe, a load of white bits appeared on the floor, I figured it was something I had left in a pocket falling out. Then I opened the coat and noticed most of the white lining has fallen out and I've only had the coat 13 years!!!
Things are just not made to last.

On the up side, it means I'm in the market for a new coat :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Same thing happened to me. That's why I changed to Paramo.

+1 on that from me Oldtimer, years of not wearing waterproofs after being let down by GTX to often, went to moisture management. Then had an Epiphany with a Paramo Pajaro. Unbelievably good, never been wet or uncomfortable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My TPC one died last year too :sigh: I'm pretty sure I bought it in '97, so it didn't owe me a ha'penny. Kind of miss it though; I really liked that jacket.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny enough I was just thinking about those; I have two of them and they're still sound, and you're right they're the best hats I've ever used for out in the wet and windy and exposed :)

cheers,
Toddy

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Same thing happened to my Triple Point jacket last month. And it was a youngster at 10 years old! ;(

Got another (yup, definitely a Paramo fanatic!) Paramo - this time a smock - to replace it. :)

And my wife is now a Paramo convert too. The Velcro on her Lowe Alpine jacket eventually ripped the lining to shreds and made it unwearable. She now says the same as the rest of us converts! :)

But my 20 y o mountain cap is still going strong, too. Will rue the day that dies.

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I had this exact problem about 6 months ago. The jacket was only 4/5 years old and I was shocked, as it was my second LA hard shell and I REALLY rate them!
Like you, I put it down to being a problem with the fabric and moved on, but now I'm not so sure...!?! I've just had the exact same problem again! This time, with a pair of Spray Way trousers! I don't know what the fabric is, as it's not Goretex, but I know it's not Triplepoint and I don't really believe in coincidence....

After reading this thread, and also other complaints online, I'm starting to wonder if the common denominator isn't Nikwax TX.Direct?

Like last time, I put the washing machine on two boil washes, to clean out the soap residue. Then I washed these trousers and a Down Gillet with Tech-Wash, removed the Gillet, then washed the trousers again with TX.Direct. There are no problems with the Gillet, But the trousers are dead! Not conclusive I know, but enough to make me wonder...

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts?

Scott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE