Lowe alpine strike opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
My father in law has offered me his lowe alpine strike that he has had sat in a cupboard for years and not used.

I have never seen one in the flesh but pics I've seen online don't make the back padding look particularly comfortable and it doesn't apear to have any type of frame support.

How comfortable are the back and shoulder strap systems on the strike packs?
are they a comfortable pack to wear for a long day hike aprox 20miles with about 7kg load max inside or maybe weekend camping?
I own a sting but that has a totally different back support system so i can't compare them.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I miss my Strike.
I found it comfy as long as it wasn't overloaded. Like all smallish packs the waste belt didn't help much but with a little extra added foam in the back it was ok.
They are typical LA quality in it will outlast you. Is it one of the OD ones or DPM?
What I did like was that two side pouches zip together and fit the main compartment perfectly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The Strike certainly isn't a patch on the Sting in terms of the back system, but then it's a much smaller and very much lighter pack. I used to walk 20 mile days and stay out with a strike quite comfortably with up to about
9 or 10 kilos, 2 or 3 of which were water. I always found it a very good pack for extensive wear. You're correct, there's no frame support but plenty of room to put something stiff in there but I never felt the need. The padding is adequate.

If the one you have been offered doesn't have the side pockets, the PLCE ones fit straight on there; the side pockets on/off make it a very versatile pack. I still use mine from time to time, although my days of 20 milers are, I think, behind me :(

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
A little while ago I had a Strike, Sting and Salient all in olive green. Just needed the Saracen to complete my set.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
There is one on eBay the minute. Item no:121679792498

Price seems bit steep but supose they are like rocking horse poo in olive green.

I have a sting in olive and salient in camo

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE