LOWE ALPINE STING

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I understood right, the old Dutch side pouch zippers go top to bottom, the new ones go bottom to top and fit the British equipment.

Is that correct, @MrEd ?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
yes, as I understand it, the sting packs without the compression straps (so called ‘generation 1) have the zips from top to bottom, the sting packs with the compression straps (so called generation 2) and the low alpine civilian models of the sting, have zips from bottom to top same as berghaus or the PLCE Bergen’s etc. Could be other variations out there I don’t know about though but I have had gen1, gen2 and civi bags and they follow this pattern.
The actual zip size is the same on all the bags (is on my ones)

Kevin at endicotts told me all this when I brought my Dutch sting yonks ago.

I am honest the zips top down is better, looks neater and you don’t get that irritating half inch of undone zip where gravity drags the slide down a bit

Reactions: Erbswurst

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
I am honest the zips top down is better, looks neater and you don’t get that irritating half inch of undone zip where gravity drags the slide down a bit
that's a fair point. i usually rig up a little something to keep the bottom-up zips from creeping down but it's a faff TBH.

Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Interestingly.......I was told on ordering, mine was Gen 1.......pouch zips bottom to top and compression straps behind pouches?

The zips that way have never been a problem, and I've not heard of pouches dropping off littering the countryside?

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
agreed, the side pouches aren't dropping off. i think it's only mildly bothersome, feels a bit sloppy to have the top inch or so of the pouch flopping about, or imagining them flopping about being more to the point i guess.

as to the Gen1/Gen2 thing i have no idea what the proper designation is. my Sting has no compression straps -- i wish it did because i often end up using a wide bit of webbing around the entire middle of the bag to cinch things up nice and snug -- and zips top-down.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
My pouches have never worked the zips down to the point that they have fallen off, and I doubt they would, but it just creeps down half an inch or so and looks untidy, I haven’t found a way to stop it happening and have grown to ignore it now!
But yes, top down zip is the neater solution tbh
I am unsure about current berghaus pouches, best thing would be to see if someone can offer some up and fit

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Interestingly.......I was told on ordering, mine was Gen 1.......pouch zips bottom to top and compression straps behind pouches?

The zips that way have never been a problem, and I've not heard of pouches dropping off littering the countryside?

huh that’s a gen2 pack according to the info I was told. Slightly newer build as well I imagine

the compressions straps pass through the zip area and round to the front of the bag

Reactions: Laurence Milton

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
I was also told the bottom to top zips were the early version. and they went top to bottom on later versions.

My Awry made Sting pack, seems newer, it features top to bottom pouches.

We may never know for sure unless there is someone with more definitive authority on the topic.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
My civilian made LA sting is bottom to top, but you are right we won’t really ever find out tbh. It also doesn’t matter really, all the variations are really good useable packs and if you have a decent on in good order it doesn’t really matter, it’s just an interesting quirk.

we could make a sting and strike backpack appreciation society, we could all be founding members :D

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Saracen fans also should be invited to the club! It's never a fault to have a few tall and strong friends.

Reactions: MrEd

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's a Dutch shop.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
ive seen them on varustalekeae although this is too nice for what i really need it for it would double up as a nice Civvy pack being black. hoping to do a deal but just short of what i need to buy for a bit. gutted i now its going to go by the time i'm sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE