Lowe Alpine Dutch Saracen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Looking into the possibility of one of these for week long Expeds, including Arctic trips were a lot of quite bulky kit and large Sleeping bag are needed.
I know they are not light but hear they are very good as large load carriers.
Any thoughts please Cats?

Best.

Chris.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Phaestos on here bought one the other week and brought it to the Giants Seat meet.... Good sized heavy duty pack with the Lowe Alpine adjustable harness. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll rave about it.... I'm thinking of one after my brief nosey around it.

***EDIT*** Sorry mate he bought the STING not the Saracen.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Saracen on EBay at the moment but be warned they are huge.
Another one to look at is the Berghaus Atlas.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Got one - although hve to fight with my daughter to use it!

Excellent in my opinion - bullet-proof, lots of molle, floating lid, bottom pockets on sides to carry skis/walking/tent poles behind the zip-off side pockets - which make a day-pack when zipped together - they have integral yokes), comfortable and very good adjustable back that means it fits almost all sizes. My soon-to-be Son-in-law is ex RM, and he says they all swore by them (strangely enough, my ebay saracen has a 45 RM Commando tag on it!)

And big......very, very big!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dInNyNWgzbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aKaUJuqBo

Last edited:

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I got one from Endys and all I can do is echo everyone else: huge and bombproof. I must admit that I don't use it too much because when I do it gets full and is very heavy. PLCE side pockets can be used instead of the supplied ones and PLCE pockets are a little bigger (if you need to carry even more stuff).

Claudiasboris

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yes, I've had one for about a year- fantastic bit of kit - pretty heavy unladen, but you know that. Stated capacity seems actually lower than it really is- which is huge. Side compression straps do a good job of reducing it down though if not needed. Floating lid is good, as is the top lid pocket which has a zip on both sides (really really handy) and can be compressed. Amazing for the money. As has been stated above, PLCE pockets are a little better than the supplied ones (and have a wider opening).

Lovely chunky hip belt and lumber support. Buy buy buy!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
......... As has been stated above, PLCE pockets are a little better than the supplied ones (and have a wider opening).

Lovely chunky hip belt and lumber support. Buy buy buy!

tHe advantage with the saracen side-pockets is that they have an integral harness, so no carrying around - and losing - a separate yoke as the pcle pockets need.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
tHe advantage with the saracen side-pockets is that they have an integral harness, so no carrying around - and losing - a separate yoke as the pcle pockets need.

Very true, although I tend not to use the side pouches for that purpose. I didn't actually get the shoulder straps with the pouches that came with my surplus saracen, although i have some arktis ones that fit. If the shoulder straps for the side pouches are important to you, best double check that they are included before you buy.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Apologies for resurrecting this thread.

I just ordered one of these packs (less the side pockets) and it will arrive next week. Need a large but comfortable bag for my winter hammock sleep system and warm clobber. Seemed to tick all the boxes as I was going to get a UK PLCE bergan (had my fair share of time wearing the OD and 1st gen DPM ones) but saw them advertised on FB and Ebay so took a punt. I like the idea of a comfy and adjustable harness.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
It arrived this morning - I'm very impressed, but the batch mine was made in has the side pocket zips upside down (but still compatible with PLCE pockets) and the external top flap pocket zip is U/S so requires replacement. I'll get the rocket pouch zips swapped around when I get the flap pocket zip replaced. It also has a dual crossover belt on the harness that I haven't seen before.

Just uploading a video of it for YT, will publish the link when ready.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Got the zips sorted, a pair of PLCE pockets and also a Molle pouch for the front to put small items in. I find you can fit an issue camelbak inside the internal side sleeves as well.

Video of the bag before modification.

[video=youtube_share;t5wnQv5BYsg]https://youtu.be/t5wnQv5BYsg[/video]

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yours looks a more modern model than mine - the back system and waist belt are somewhat different - probably better! I'm sure you won't regret your choice above a UK bergen.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
2009 on the label, made by Arwy. I've now got a quick release buckle on the belt and a chest harness strap too. Will be using it this weekend with all my other new stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE