Lowa mountain boots. Any feed back??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 29, 2013
Portland Dorset
Hi all,
I'm in the market for a new pair of leather mountain boots. Ive read a couple of reviews on The Lowa mountain boots and wondering if any of you wear them and your feedback on them. They seem a bit expensive but are they worth the money.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I have been using these boots for approx 5 years now in all weathers when stalking.
They are great boots as far as warmth and breathability are concerned and they certainly keep the water out if looked after properly and will stand up to hard use.
Big draw back are the Vibram soles, which are OK in most situations, but treacherous and bordering on dangerous when walking/climbing on wet and slippy rocks, not a good scenario when you are carrying a £2.5K rifle and cope combo.

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've got the Combat version of the same boot..(I chose this version as its a bit higher and I often suffer from my Achilles tendon and wanted a bit more support. ) .... I have to say ithey are the most comfortable, warm and solid boot I've ever owned. After a year of fairly hard country and out door use they're still like new. I've used on a couple of hammocking hikes with a 20kg pack and not had any problem with my feet. They feel like (heavy) slippers.

Although they are totally waterproof, so far.. I do wash them down with soapy water and when dry give a quick rub of G Wax... I know they are gortex, but the wax looks after the leather to stop it drying out and also does no harm for proofing.

I wanted a quality boot, and having bought a couple of naff pairs, not a whole lot cheaper actually... these ones have been the ticket.

Ok to be fair ... I do have one or two comments... They are fairly clumpy, so you feel a bit like walking in ski boots.. and did take a few wears to break in.. Yes the soles could have a better grip.. but I've had numerous types of sole and many are less than good on slippery surfaces.. On my hikes and fishign trips, I've found them no worse than my other boots. But to be honest these are such minor points for this quality boot, I can't really count them...
When these ones wear out, and I think it will be a while.. I'd get another pair.

cheers
Gareth

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I used a pair for years, got some serious miles out of them until I'd worn the soles smooth. They are good boots though a little heavy and unyielding. I prefer my Altbergs these days.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I have had the same pair for 10+ years.
I have worn them in Cold Climates and Hot with no adverse effects and dread to think how many mile i have walked in them, i have used them till the leather has lost its shine and gone to grey distressed look and after a few coats of decent polish they look as good as new
They are heavy (so if you do a lot of walking on concrete your shins may suffer) and they are lethal as the soles wear down to near slicks.

They do tend to push on the nerve on the top of my foot if i wear them for hours (15+) on end but nothing to worry about

would i buy another pair... Yes....
What would i say about the price.... well mine have cost me about £14 a year if you look at it in that way, where can you get a decent set of boots every year for £14

All i will say is try them on with your walking socks and i know people who have mail ordered only to find they are too tight or far too big.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE