Low Alpine Sting Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sounds like they put the weight in lbs down as kgs.

Going to order one of these today from endicotts. Great reviews guys, cheers.:)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hill Bill ,

On Monday i will be picking up a Sting and a Saracen from Endicotts , I intend to put them side by side for comparsion purposes if its of any use to you?
You my want to reserve one anyway?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hill Bill ,

On Monday i will be picking up a Sting and a Saracen from Endicotts , I intend to put them side by side for comparsion purposes if its of any use to you?
You my want to reserve one anyway?

Thanks TeeDee, but the saracen is a bit big for what i want, the bloke at endys said its about 140 litres :eek:

Think i'll be getting the sting. Like the look of it and the molle system.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
A bit of an update on the Sting review..
Since getting the Sting I’ve been wondering About the MOLLE / PALS webbing panel on the back. So I’ve been casting about for some suitable pouches to try out.. After looking at a lot I decided that most utility pouches we’re not for me and I didn’t want to use ammo pouches. So I approached the guys at Squires manufacturing. They supply Webbing to the NZDF so know what they are talking about... We settled on a Pouch based on a ‘South African Water bottle’ Pouch

DSCF0164.jpg

I asked them to ditch the MOLLE loops on the outside of the pouch and to add in an extra drain hole on the base

DSCF0157.jpg

Also I asked them to add in a sock and draw cord under the pouch lid.

DSCF0163.jpg

The pouches have a layer of PVC on the back and front and under the lid which acts as a stiffener and also add in some waterproofing.

DSCF0159.jpg

The pouch uses 3 MOLLE/ PALS loops to attach

DSCF0158.jpg

Here is the result attached to the MOLLE / PALS panel on the back of the LA Sting

DSCF0155.jpg

The pouches measure approx 270mm H by 120mm by 120mm I show it here with a 1 ltr Nalgene Bottle for comparison...

DSCF0161.jpg

And a Jet boil and canister

DSCF0162.jpg

They can also take a British Army Bivvy bag stuffed in there.
When attached to the Sting the result is rock solid after you’ve woven them on correctly. The beauty of MOLLE is of course its flexible so it’s takes 5 minutes to reconfigure the pouches.

DSCF0166.jpg

Some of you might have read my review on my cheapo Chinese ‘3 day Assault pack’

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51688

Well this is complete with MOLLE / PALS loops also and the Pouches fit right on as side pockets...

DSCF0167.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

Squires can be found at the following link

http://www.squires.co.nz/

A good demo on MOLLE / PALS attachment has been produced by the RV OPS boys and can be found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OjIqTwgjdk

Cheers

John

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nice addition John With 4 side pockets you're going to be able to cram alot of kit inside the Sting. This is one of the things i prefer over the Sting to the issue bergen. The front pocket on the bergen is big enough for a water bottle pouch and easily accessible on tabs from the guy behind, but you can't really add anything else to it.
With the sting you could stuff your main gear inside like dossbag, bivi bag, spare clothes etc and on the pouches your basha, noddy suit, rations, spare ammo, cooking gear etc.

Cheers for the link aswell :D

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Nat,

My days of carrying 'spare ammo' have long gone. Unless you count 10 rounds of 6.5x55 when I'm off for a blat after a Pig or Deer.

What I have found with the Sting is the side pouches seem to stick out a bit and in close country get caught up on supplejack and wait a whiles.. Shifting the side pouches to the back hopefully will sort this out a bit... I'm just going to use them with light kit that I'll need to get hold of perhaps a bivvy bag or tarp / hammock etc... Adding loads of heavy stuff in there might affect the balance of the pack..

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Aye unfortunately my days of that aren't over yet (or fortunately ;) ).

I tend to use my sting more for ex than camping/hiking but the principles are the same. Keep often used items in the pouches.
Can't find those pouches on the Squires website though, i shall have a dig at RVOP's.

Glad to see this thread growing, maybe we can convert everyone from the SF45 :lmao:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Squires are a good bunch but the sales of MOLLE pouches in NZ must be tiny... I just phoned and spoke to them... Someone like jay jays in Brecon could probably do the same if not better.... Especially now you have a few pictures to show them.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE