Lovely Seaweeds... probably. [pics]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hi all,

Was out today, down the shore again hoping to find Razor Clams or at least signs of them, but as usual they are hiding from me:( I did, however, decide to collect a few seaweeds to try out, along with a couple of limpets. I had hoped to gather some Gutweed (Ulva Intestinalis or Ulva Linza), Dulse (Palmaria Palmata), Carragheen (Chondrus Crispus) and Sugar Kelp (Saccharina Latissima). There was a very strong off shore wind coming in, keeping the tide from going out as fast or as far as I'd hoped, so had to give the Dulse a miss. I did manage to get a tiny ( and I mean really really small, about the size of a ten pence piece) bit of Laver (Porphyra spp.) Oh and 4 medium sized limpets.

Wet Gutweed ( sorry for the blurred pic..:eek: )
wetgutweed.jpg

The Gutweed spread out, ready for drying
gutweed.jpg

What I think is a Carragheen. They can have a very varied appearance, however it does look like the pictures I've saw.
caragheen.jpg

Sugar Kelp
sugarkelp.jpg

Laver
laver.jpg

A group shot..
3weeds.jpg

The plan is to dry them out, and with the gutweed, see what it tastes like dried, deep fry some which is meant to be very tasty crispy seaweed, or use it as a condiment to add to meals or on pizzas etc. The Kelp will be cut into small squares and deep fried to turn them into crisps! The Carragheen will be used as a thickener for soups or maybe a mousse, so for any veggies out there, this is the perfect alternative to gelatine. The laver is too small to do anything to, and until we get a pressure cooker, I don't fancy spending 6 - 8 hours cooking it to make laverbread.

They are drying as I type, so will let you know how it turns out in a day or two...Although I have to say limpets are an acquired taste I think. Not exactly bad, but very much 'of the sea'. One did have a almost sweet flavour but not strong enough to cover up the sea taste. Certainly I could see it being used with a good sauce, or in a chowder, but by itself I think I'll be giving it a miss.

Cheers,

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I could be wrong but that carragheen looks more like one of the wrack family

They are very similar, and I admit to being a novice at this, however the size, location and the shape of the frongs(tips) are very much like a Carragheen. Carragheen can be any number of colours, flat round or twisted apparently. There is a distinct difference between them and the other wracks that abound the coast line here, combined with carefully looking at pictures I'm tending to lean towards the Carragheen side of things, however am willing to be proven wrong if anyone knows more about it.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a Carragheen, if not well it's not a failure, it's a successful lesson in what it's not! :D

Cheers,

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Tried fried gutweed tonight, and unfortunately fried it far too long, it was in the pan less than 10 seconds and it burnt. Burnt seaweed tastes just as bad as you'd think.. lol mouth wash and a good tooth brushing later and the taste was somewhat removed. Dry, it has an odd flavour, quite strong but not unpleasant. Will need to dig out some muslin or something to experiment with the Carragheen... I guess I should have fried up some of the kelp, but forgot about it. Although now, I'm not 100% sure it is sugar kelp..

Cheers,

Tried fried gutweed tonight, and unfortunately fried it far too long, it was in the pan less than 10 seconds and it burnt. Burnt seaweed tastes just as bad as you'd think.. lol mouth wash and a good tooth brushing later and the taste was somewhat removed. Dry, it has an odd flavour, quite strong but not unpleasant. Will need to dig out some muslin or something to experiment with the Carragheen... I guess I should have fried up some of the kelp, but forgot about it. Although now, I'm not 100% sure it is sugar kelp..

Cheers,

That one I am 100% sure of, it is Laminaria saccharina.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
nice one.......keep looking for the razor clams they are realy nice cooked on the fire with the smoke flavour......mmmmmmmmmmm

you must get a tide book to make your trip for them worth while though...... only cost £2-3 well worth it.......also gives you minimum size on muscles razor clams and the like.......

you will be supprised how much is in them......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE