Looks like new Ray Mears on TV this May

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Whilst I can see how some might have a rather jaded enthusiasm for the new program, it is true that RM is an ambassador for our interests. This is because a lot of people only ever see bushcraft stuff because of these kind of programs. IMHO the guy is articulate, responsible and a conservationist; therefore, whatever he gets up to in the series, it has to be a positive thing for our collective public profile, doesn't it?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
His latest series' have just been nice travelogues and free holidays for him. I've almost given up watching them. Almost. ;)

Oh dear....perhaps this is a tongue in cheek comment. For starters the opening episode in the Northern Wilderness series brought to life many of the resources about which Mors Kochanski wrote in his celebrated book.

I've been tempted for quite a while to think that the minute Ray moved on from Tracks-type skills-bites people felt the content was diminishing in some way. We've all moved on from the times when Tracks, and indeed bushcraft forums, were new to us and inevitably the freshness is lost and the format of the TV programmes becomes a little "tired". IMHO the Mears' programmes still offer a welcome diversion from the dross of reality television with its contrived conflicts and I hope they continue in one form or another :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its good to see him move on and present 'less' bushcraft IMHO. He's done all that stuff to death and if you need to see how to light a fire just go on youtube, there are hundreds of bushcraft 'experts' on there these days:rolleyes:

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
Oh dear....perhaps this is a tongue in cheek comment. For starters the opening episode in the Northern Wilderness series brought to life many of the resources about which Mors Kochanski wrote in his celebrated book. :)

Have to agree with you on that one, and some things nearly word for word on Mors books. Ray should check with us Native Metis on his facts though, in Ray's Northern Wilderness book he wrote a lot of misinformation on my people, and a few things in general (plant and scat identification etc) he either missed or just plain got it wrong. Maybe an edit mistake, I don't know. Though I was not so impressed when he came to Canada and did his tv series here, but when he did his tv series on UK I was riveted and he did a great job, I'd like to see him do more on that. Absolutely fantastic.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
On his lecture tour he did mention that he was filming a new series which would be more about his personal skills and resources rather than looking at the lives of other peoples - whatever that means. But I suppose a show about tracking would fit that bill.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mahikan, Id like to see more GB stuff too. We have an interesting indigineous history that is overlooked, (if not never even researched)

The life of the Fen Tigers would be a start.

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
Tengu Some of my elders talk about the loss of the aboriginal people and their skills in other parts of the world, including your neck of the woods, so I think it would be fascinating to see more on that aspect.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
The wiki article refers to a Guardian piece from April 2009 HERE.

"The three new programmes, to be called Survival with Ray Mears, will feature the tracker using his wildlife knowledge and field craft skills to follow three predators - bears, leopards and the grey wolf. It will be his first series for ITV."

So that'll be Canada, Africa and Russia?

No, the London Zoo:lmao:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm not a Ray worshipper. Worship is reserved for an early 80s Kate Bush, a late 70s Jenny Agutter, Diana Rigg at any age whatsoever, that poster girl playing tennis with the itchy hoop, and Mrs S. But Ray's gotta be better than Britain's got X-Dorothy Chef Talent.

Tobes

PS - I'd turn Ray off any day to watch Diana Rigg in On Her Majesty's Secret Service...

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
That writeup of the new program sounds great to me. I love the old hands-on programs, but I'm genuinely looking forward to this one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE