Looks can be deceiving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
Not sure if this is the right forum as it turned out more like a crusty mess than lovely grub!

We had a go at making some acorn bread a few weeks ago. It took about 10 days to process the acorns, so whether it looked like a turd or not, I was going to eat it! It tasted nice, a little dry as you can see but with a little water, it went down quite well. My son and daughter loved it.

The mix was half acorn flour and half normal flour and done in a bread maker.

Has anybody here made it and how did yours turn out?

P1000912.JPG

mosaic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Kids seem to enjoy it so you're doing something right :)
How did you process the acorns themselves?..
Might have to try this one out...

Simon

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
Kids seem to enjoy it so you're doing something right :)
How did you process the acorns themselves?..
Might have to try this one out...

Simon

I peeled the acorns, roughly ground them up, then just checked them in a bowl and changed the water morning and night.
It took about 10 days to do, I just kept checking the water when I was throwing it away. When it stopped changing colour each wash, I dried them on a tray. You can dry them on a low heat in the oven but here in Japan, people don't really have ovens. When they were dry I ground them finer and thats it.

Before actually throwing the waste water away, tip it into another bowl and let it settle as it will be full of starch.
When the starch has settled then you can tip the water away and it won't wash too much of the starch away.

It depends on what type of acorns they are as to how long it takes to leech them.

I'm moving back to England in January so I'm looking forward to trying it with the acorns you get in England.

No way I would eat that stuff, it pixilated yer kids eads.

Hahaha! that's the side effects I'm affraid. it returns back to normal after a couple of days. ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I peeled the acorns, roughly ground them up, then just checked them in a bowl and changed the water morning and night.
It took about 10 days to do, I just kept checking the water when I was throwing it away. When it stopped changing colour each wash, I dried them on a tray. You can dry them on a low heat in the oven but here in Japan, people don't really have ovens. When they were dry I ground them finer and thats it.

Before actually throwing the waste water away, tip it into another bowl and let it settle as it will be full of starch.
When the starch has settled then you can tip the water away and it won't wash too much of the starch away.

It depends on what type of acorns they are as to how long it takes to leech them.

Interesting stuff, years ago I had a go at making acorn coffee but decided that I'd stick with the proper stuff after that.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I haven't made a loaf of bread, but I have used the flour in johnny cakes ie small dampers (bannock if you prefer).

I mixed about 50/50 flour and acorn flour, add some water to make a dough and spoon a small amount onto a hotplate to cook.
Flatten them out a bit so they cook quickly.

The actual ratio of flour and acorn is not important, you could try 30% acorn and then 70% for a bit of variety and to see what you like.

Self Raising flour (or baking powder) will give a slightly lighter texture.

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
I haven't made a loaf of bread, but I have used the flour in johnny cakes ie small dampers (bannock if you prefer).

I mixed about 50/50 flour and acorn flour, add some water to make a dough and spoon a small amount onto a hotplate to cook.
Flatten them out a bit so they cook quickly.

The actual ratio of flour and acorn is not important, you could try 30% acorn and then 70% for a bit of variety and to see what you like.

Self Raising flour (or baking powder) will give a slightly lighter texture.

I'll try that next time. Thanks for the advice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE